What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Easy one handed GPS removal

jamescone

Well Known Member
I devised an easy way to remove the GPS and as it turned out it was easier if I did it with one hand. Here is how I did it and the link at the end of this post is a link to the pictures.

1. Mark and remove 1/16 inch on the bottom and left side of the instrument panel hole. Smooth the hole and debur the edges.

2. With the mount in place measure where to drill the hole so that the removal pin pushes on the release tab towards the end of the tab.

3. Use a Q-tip and paint the edge of the instrument panel where the edge was removed and paint the hole in the panel as well.

4. Attach a small Nylon strap to the top right screw at the rear of the mount. Use a hot nail or small tipped soldering iron to make the hole in the strap and melt the ends of the strap to prevent fraying. Use a small washer to secure the strap under the nut.

5. Make a removal tool by using a piece of hinge pin or similar about 4 inches long with a loop at the end bent 90 degrees to the pin.

6. Use a Velcro dot on the back of the GPS and the strap to keep it in place when pulling on the strap.

7. Insert the GPS right side first with the strap Velcroed in place and push the unit in the mount. When inserting the GPS, tilt it slightly so that the rubber cap at the bottom clears the instrument panel hole first.

8. To remove the GPS, hold the removal tool with the pin in the removal hole and the other end in the palm of your hand. Grasp the end of the strap and pull as you push on the release tool. The GPS will come right out in your hand.

See http://picasaweb.google.com/JimCone1941/RV12Construction82309# for pictures of the design and operation. Hope this helps.

Why not just place a spring on the back plate to push the gps out when you press the release tab with the pin?

Looks good!

Why not just place a spring on the back plate to push the gps out when you press the release tab with the pin?

Looks good!

Try pulling the GPS out and you will see why this will probably not work assuming that you can even get the GPS to seat in the mount with a spring in between it and the GPS.

Back