What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Remove Paint from Wood Prop

FresnoR

Well Known Member
As the title said, has anyone had experience with removing the paint off of a wood prop? I would thing chemical stripper is the best way as sanding it down would be asking for trouble. But would the stripper compromise the integrity of the lamination?

It certainly could. I wouldn't use any kind of stripper without talking to the propeller manufacturer.

I would for sure ask the manufacturer.
My gut reaction would be to avoid striper since I don't know what it would do to the bonding agents.

chemical

I just refinished a wood prop and used "Aircraft Stripper" by Kleen Strip purchased at an auto parts store. Paint strippers have been regulated to the point where they are pretty weak, but it did soften up the finish enough to remove it with a putty knife, and therefore avoid sanding and potentially altering the shape. Next time I refinish a prop I will do it the same way. I didn't strip the hub area because it was in very good condition from being covered by the spinner. If it has a urethane leading edge do not apply stripper to that area because it will soften. Carefully hand sand the urethane.

Tip - I wish that I had checked the static balance prior to doing anything because once down to bare wood it was way out of balance. If balance was checked at the outset I would have had a reference point.

Refinishing

Anyone wanting to refinish their own Wood Prop is welcome to call me and i will walk you thru the process i use.

I just contacted the manufacturer, they said they have no experience using chemical stripper, cannot say if good or bad.

I'll give you a call later today Frank, thanks.

Back