What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3 Bladed Prop Options

Xkuzme1

Well Known Member
Hey guys

I'm doing som research for props. I'm considering buying a Rv-4 with a 180/360. It currently has a FP speed prop, but I am considering the idea of a 3 bladed prop. I understand that Catto has quite the back order. Are there any other manufacturer that makes non adjustable 3 bladed props? I would actually like the idea of a heavier prop to allow a favorable cg for rear seat passengers.

Thanks guys,

x

CG

Although the RV-4 does get a bit pitch sensitive with a rear seat passenger, you already have a 360 up front and that would resolve most aft CG problems. You might want to try a different prop for the type of flying you do, but I would not make that selection based on ADDING weight.

Jim
RV-4 N444JT

Don't worry too much about the CATTO backlog. Just get that RV-4 and start flying!
1) You will love it
2) You will not want to take it out of service to change the prop unless it has a problem.
3) You will fly it for some time before you know it well enough to make changes.
Don't be too hasty.
4) I got an 'as new' CATTO 3 blade on a fleabay auction, so time (and cost!) saving miracles happen from time-to-time.

The three blade Catto isn't going to do anything for you weight wise, if you need weight on the nose I suggest a heavier Saber Manufacturing crush plate. As far as the Catto, I Really like it!

Prop

Ditto - Buy the Catto 3-blade and after you fly it if you think you neee more weight Saber can make yiu a crush plate. Performance is great and smooth as silk. Get yiur name on the list so you have options - yiu can always pull your name off the list if yiu go a different direction.:cool:

Back