What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VS-410PP Upper Bracket

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
I'm looking at the rivet callout for mounting this hinge on the VS and I just noticed that only 5 of the six holes are filled with the rivet and the other is empty. I match drilled it anyway and I'm sure that doesn't matter at all?

But why is there an extra, unriveted hole? Is there something on the rudder that would hit it?

Well I match drilled it and countersunk the doubler it in my haste. I didn't dimple the spar, so it is relatively per drawings. I hope that doesn't screw it all up??. Seems it shouldn't.

So I skipped ahead and looked at the VS-tailcone attachment drawings, particularly 11-07. I think you are right that the two undrilled holes in the lower half of the lower hinge assempby are used for the VS-tailcone attachment, but the hole I am asking about is the center of the lower row on the UPPER hinge (upper half of the lower hinge assembly).

This hole is drawn on the hinge but seems unused earlier?..?

I filled it with a rivet just like the others. So far it has not interfered with anything. VS is not installed as of yet but has been installed and removed many times (as most parts are during the build) and I see no problem with the rivet installed . I don't know if it is an omission, we'll see.

The two unused holes in the aft spar of the VS are used to align the aft bulkhead of the tailcone with the VS. One hole gets a cleco and the hole on the hinge bracket uses a drill bit for alignment.

Back