What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Propeller recommendations

Planegene

I am a long time RV fans although presently do not have one. I am presently Rebuilding a Pitts S1 and looking to the RV family for recommendations to affordable 3 blade wooden propellers. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Gene

Welcome to VAF

Gene, welcome to the good ship VAF:D

I suggest you get ready for a flood of recommendations for a Catto prop:D

Propeller

Whirlwind has provided me with the new RV-74 composite/nickel propeller, which I have been test flying on N23YY, a RV-7A. Having completed 103 hours, I'd say this model gives me about 3-4 knots faster cruise speed than the RV200, which I've flown for some 200 hours. The engine is a Lycoming IO390 with high compression pistons. Will post more technical supporting documentation shortly.

Top Props...

I am a long time RV fans although presently do not have one. I am presently Rebuilding a Pitts S1 and looking to the RV family for recommendations to affordable 3 blade wooden propellers. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Gene

Gene,
I tested many props on my RV's over the years and became great friends with Craig Catto. Of course, his props top my list as the best out there and grace the nose of my current airplane. I punished many others (Sterba, Warnke, Sensenich) over the years and sold them all, 2 going to Pitts owners. Craig's current props are the best overall FP prop value out there, IMHO. They aren't the cheapest but do offer the whole enchilada in quality, performance and value. However...
As mentioned above, Performance Props is under new management and location (TX) and the owner is a great guy and fellow RVer. His three blade, multi-laminate wood props are works of art and might be a slightly less expensive option for a Pitts. A third option for low cost, high output prop is long time prop builder Ed Sterba. I flew one of his props for 5 years on my RV4 with excellent performance and economy.

V/R
Smokey

www.cattoprops.com
http://performancepropellersusa.com
http://www.greatplainsas.com/ed.html

Catto 3 Blade

Performance 3 blade...

Last edited:
Whirlwind has provided me with the new RV-74 composite/nickel propeller, which I have been test flying on N23YY, a RV-7A. Having completed 103 hours, I'd say this model gives me about 3-4 knots faster cruise speed than the RV200, which I've flown for some 200 hours. The engine is a Lycoming IO390 with high compression pistons. Will post more technical supporting documentation shortly.

I'm really interested in this prop and look forward to your additional info. It'll go on my 205hp ECI IOX-370

Last edited:
Back