What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTR 200

bajapilot

Got my Skyview kit today with the new GTR200 radio. Nice looking radio. It does come with a new left side panel without the intercom holes in it. It also has new vertical support brackets front and rear for the radio stack so heads up if you haven't installed the old ones and are getting the new Skyview kit.

Bill

I've been thinking of switching to the new radio and have carefully reviewed the plans and dimensions in the Garmin Installation Manual. The Vans brackets have been question marks.

I was thinking I could cludge the new radio support tray into the existing brackets, maybe by drilling new holes in the brackets and/or the tray. Do you have pictures of the new support brackets?

Bob Bogash
N737G

GTM200

Here's a link to the photo of the new brackets.
IMG_0804-L.jpg

Hope it helps Bob. The rear tower is a little taller and has a larger bottom hole for the wiring bushing. Front tower, different rivet pattern for the plate nuts, shape and hole locations.

Bill

That is over and beyond the call, Bill.

Much thanks - I'm gonna study those for some time.

I was surprised you had the old brackets - thought you would only have the new.

Bob Bogash
N737G

Bill, I am having difficulty determining the part number of the rear braces. Also would like to know part number of large bushing. Thanks

Got my Skyview kit today with the new GTR200 radio. Nice looking radio. It does come with a new left side panel without the intercom holes in it. It also has new vertical support brackets front and rear for the radio stack so heads up if you haven't installed the old ones and are getting the new Skyview kit.

Bill

So does it come with a new ctr panel? I thought the GTR was slightly higher?

Thx in advance - getting ready to place my avionics order as well. Trying to figure out what not to do as I finish off the fuse here.

The GTR is slightly higher. I had to enlarge the hole on the top side a few thousandths to get it to fit. Took about a half hour with a file. No biggy.

If doing any switching Bob, think about a real nav/com! For only a bit more outlay you can have a real HSI and glideslope on the Skyview. Real easy to hook up too if you go the SL30 route, no need to change the panel cutout or supports either..

I've been thinking of switching to the new radio and have carefully reviewed the plans and dimensions in the Garmin Installation Manual. The Vans brackets have been question marks.

I was thinking I could cludge the new radio support tray into the existing brackets, maybe by drilling new holes in the brackets and/or the tray. Do you have pictures of the new support brackets?

Bob Bogash
N737G

New panel is F-0060
Angle is F-0061

Rear brace is F-00055L & F-00055R
Front brace is F-00054 (you'll spilt that into L&R

Bushing is SB1250-16

No center panel, takes 10 minutes to open up about .020

Bill

The GTR is slightly higher. I had to enlarge the hole on the top side a few thousandths to get it to fit. Took about a half hour with a file. No biggy.

Mitch, did you have to change out the front braces to accommodate the GTR 200?

Wiring

The latest wiring schematic at Vans has the GTR200 update and also shows the internal contacts of the AV5000. Does not quite give away the proprietary functions of the logic board but is a great improvement for trouble shooting.

Where is this schematic? I can't find it. I would love to see the wiring for the current build airplanes to help me make any mods - like changing the radio and interphone.

Bob Bogash
N737G

Thanks, Larry.

I am very familiar with those electrical diagrams - I think I spent months studying them. But I don't see any electrical diagrams for kits currently being produced.

Never mind, however, since that would be good news regarding the Vans radio kit. How do you guys keep finding out about these things; do you call the Support line a lot? Sort of like the weather stripping kit supposedly coming out "soon."

Well, I'll check it out.

Bob Bogash
N737G

Almost all inclusive kit to change out the SL40 for the GTR200 is--12GTR-200 RETROFIT-- price is $1300. Includes everything except the pilot panel segment and a replacement end for the coax cable. The SL40 used a slip fit connector that is secured by 2 screws. The GTR200 connector should really be changed out for a locking BNC connector. I was fortunate enough to sell my SL40 and 403 com for enough to have a few bucks left over. The new rear braces are extremely nice for those that are building EAB even if you do not use the GTR200. The larger snap bushings have greatly increased capacity for wire routing.

Larry,

Sorry, haven't looked at this for a while. Yes I did have to change the brackets for the GTR 200. Just drill out the old rivets and install new as I recall.

How about the aft two brackets, Mitch? They are much more involved with countersunk holes and nutplates, and alignment issues with the center panel, etc etc.

Sorry for all the questions....

Bob Bogash
N737G

Bob,

Yes you do have to replace the aft two brackets but there's only two rivets to drill out and replace per bracket. You do have to replace the nutplates and countersink the rivets for those. There were no alignment issues with the panels, the holes match up perfectly.

Bill

Just finished up my install of the new radio and wiring.

instrument11.jpg
instrument16.jpg

I chose not to replace the left panel. I already had it drilled and painted. I plan to cover the holes for the intercom with a N-number plate anyway.

Randy,
What are part numbers for the ADSB brackets? I upgraded to the new Garmin GTR but the SL 40 ADSB brackets don't fit the new radio and I didn't get any updated instructions or brackets for the ADSB. I guess $1400 doesn't buy what it used to!
Thanks,
Bruce

Sorry Bruce, I've been slow to catch up on the threads.

The part numbers are F-00045B-L and F-00045B-R. Those are the two brackets that bolt to the GTR200 mounts and provide a mount for the ADS-B radio.

Back