What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 vertical stabilizer ? Dimple

flywade

On the part vs-704 should I dimple the holes where the empennage fairing attach even, there is no rivets at this time?

Without researching , I would say no as most fairings get countersunk. I would have to look up the plans to be sure.

On the part vs-704 should I dimple the holes where the empennage fairing attach even, there is no rivets at this time?

You need to start looking ahead in the plans to see how the part will be attached and make appropriate decision concerning dimpling or countersinking.

If the RV-14 plans are anything like the RV-10 plans, they will become more terse as you proceed and won't even mention dimpling or countersinking. They expect you to know when it's appropriate.

I suggest finding a local EAA Technical Counselor to assist you in understanding this better.

I have the same question on my RV-7. Looking ahead, it appears empennage fairing attaches with nutplates, but nothing in plans about dimpling/not dimpling those 6 holes per side.

Sure there is, you just need to learn what to look for.....

What rivet is called out? Does that rivet require a dimple and/or countersink?

I don't mean to be a jerk, but Van's does assume that you know this pass the first couple chapters in the first kit.

The short answer is no. Do not dimple the fair attach holes. I think Bob's point is to examine what type of nut plate will be installed in the future. If the nut plate is countersunk (K1100) then you might need a dimple. If the nut plate is not countersunk (K1000) then you might not want to dimple. Also check ahead to see what fastener will be used and what type of material will be attached to the sheet metal with the fastener.

-Bruce

The short answer is no. Do not dimple the fair attach holes. I think Bob's point is to examine what type of nut plate will be installed in the future. If the nut plate is countersunk (K1100) then you might need a dimple. If the nut plate is not countersunk (K1000) then you might not want to dimple. Also check ahead to see what fastener will be used and what type of material will be attached to the sheet metal with the fastener.

-Bruce

No, that wasn't my point. But is applicable.

My point was if the plans call out for an AN426 rivet , it's going to need a dimple or counter sink. If it calls for an AN470, then you don't need to do either.

The same would apply to bolts and screws. It should be obvious to what's needed.

While all this is both true and helpful, please remember that the original poster hasn't gotten very far yet and is still learning some of these things. It's even possible that he hasn't received the plans for that fairing installation yet.

Dave

No, that wasn't my point. But is applicable.

My point was if the plans call out for an AN426 rivet , it's going to need a dimple or counter sink. If it calls for an AN470, then you don't need to do either.

The same would apply to bolts and screws. It should be obvious to what's needed.

So it wasn't your point to look ahead to examine what goes in hole? Rivet, screw or nut?

While all this is both true and helpful, please remember that the original poster hasn't gotten very far yet and is still learning some of these things. It's even possible that he hasn't received the plans for that fairing installation yet.

Dave

The plans are confusing at that point and since it is first section of the tail kit, I would expect the instructions to be a bit more forgiving. The HS instructions seemed to be much more detailed even though the HS is third section in the build order.

To dimple or not to dimple, right now.

The plans are confusing at that point and since it is first section of the tail kit, I would expect the instructions to be a bit more forgiving. The HS instructions seemed to be much more detailed even though the HS is third section in the build order.

I didn't dimple them since the plans called not to. When I did the wings, I read ahead on a section of the ribs where the wing walk goes because it was going to be more difficult to dimple once the ribs were installed. However, on the step you are talking about, the holes are at the top and wide open for whatever Van's calls for when you get to the fairings. I would just wait if I were you. You will have plenty of room for that step when you get to it. If you think that was confusing, hold on to your hat. One place in the plans in section 9 calls for dimpling all of the 30, 33 & 40 holes. Of course there is no 33 dimple, so you dimple it with the 40 and drill it out with a 33 bit. Doesn't say that, it says to dimple, but I'm learning, bit by bit. It's a ton of fun, even though I have Van's parts on speed dial and I only have to give them my first name and not my builder # when I call. Don't sweat it, just keep on building.

Glad you brought this up. You are not supposed to dimple them...of course I did, but you are not supposed to. Looking ahead they will have you drill these holes out for a number 6 screw and machine countersink it.

To those more knowing, should I just squeeze the dimples out with a flat set? Or just buy and use K1100 nutplates and after final drilling re dimple the holes with a number 6 die?

Back