What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADSB-470 Antenna location

Phantom30

Well Known Member
Where in the e-lsa construction is the adsb-470 antenna located? Trying to think ahead for wiring etc. in attempt to preclude the need to stand on head...

See this post. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=742926&postcount=10. It discusses what the factory option will be. I just installed mine a different way. ADSB box on the aft pilot side of the baggage bulkhead. Four wires to the panel running under the pilot side longeron (covered by the interior kit.) Antenna on the c/l of the plane under the ADAHRS about 18 inches back from the baggage bulkhead. I thus avoided running stuff in the tunnel and threading yet another wire (thick COAX!) up and around the brake pedals. And In the case of the factory option, dealing with adding a "second story" to the system locks...

I copied Bill for my box mounting on the back side of the bulkhead, but put my antenna close by by reaching up in one of the inspection holes to mount it, very short cable run that way. By using the "old" wires from the D180 harness that were to be pulled out in the Skyview upgrade, I did not even have to string wires to the box!

This is what I kind of thought....me think it would be prudent to mount the antenna in the tailcone b-4 attaching the fuse. Wonder if Van's will provide necessary items if requested???

This is what I kind of thought....me think it would be prudent to mount the antenna in the tailcone b-4 attaching the fuse. Wonder if Van's will provide necessary items if requested???

Yes they will. I ordered the "plans" for the upgrade so I could make the necessary additions while finishing the wiring.
-Bruce

Stein will sell you the box, nine-foot harness, short coax, peel&stick wire holders, and antenna all together. Reaching back to tighten the antenna is not a big deal - I was able to do it and have the fuel tank still in with a split bulkhead cover, and weigh about 205. You can drill the hole from below.

Stein will sell you the box, nine-foot harness, short coax, peel&stick wire holders, and antenna all together. Reaching back to tighten the antenna is not a big deal - I was able to do it and have the fuel tank still in with a split bulkhead cover, and weigh about 205. You can drill the hole from below.

Problem (I think) is in the E-LSA build version....no split bulkhead! Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think Bill just likes to crawl around in the tailcone. Do it this way and you can lay on your butt and do it in comfort!
34j23wk.jpg
[/IMG]

True. I should have specified that is a good location Post AW Inspection if ELSA, or a good one for EAB anytime.

Dynon only cares if it is too close (24 inches or less) from the Transponder antenna. It is a couple of feet from the com antenna though.
I would be careful mounting it in the tailcone bottom section, one might accidentally lay on it while doing other tailcone functions. I walow around like a fish out of water when back in there myself.

Back