What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot tube bushing loosening

jte65

Well Known Member
The pitot tube bushing on my plane has now come loose twice in the first 25 hours of flight. Fortunately, it was still on the pitot tube when I discovered it. I installed it as per the plans, roughening the surface and using blue locktite.

I am hesitant to use epoxy because it might make removal nearly impossible.

Anyone else experienced this?

Jeff

page 47-03 Blue Loctite?

Jeff,
At first I thought that you must have made a mistake by using blue Loctite. So I looked up page 47-03 and saw that the plans do indeed call for blue Loctite. I can not remember what I used. But I doubt that I used blue Loctite. Loctite ONLY works on metal. I would call Van's support and ask about that. The plans must be wrong. I would use epoxy or some other type of adhesive.
Joe

One suggestion. Has to do with the spinner. EVERY time the spinner is pulled, recheck and ensure the pitot tube does not move vertically or horizontally as the prop is pulled thru a revolution. Use the same method as was used during the initial drilling of the spinner's screw holes.

I have found there is enough play in the screw holes to cause quite a bit of pitot tube wobble if not checked as the spinner screws are inserted and retightened.

And of course, match mark the spinner and the prop flange to ensure the spinner is put back on the same way each time.

There are other loose or missing bushings out there...

Jeff,

I'm glad you found the bushing still on the pitot tube; I wasn't as lucky. Mine didn't go 25 hours; but my second will never leave the spinner. That little bushing is the most expensive part for it's size and weight on the RV-12. Epoxy it in place...or you'll loose it!

Jay Sluiter
N124CS
180 hours on my second bushing!

Bushing

Mine popped out twice before I finally glued it in. Glue it man!;)

While we are discussing this what lubricate is every body using?

Jay, How much did it cost? Spill the beans Dude!:cool:

I prosealed mine in.

I have not used any lube and I have no discernible wear after 175 hours. I checked for wear at annual and I could not detect any with a dial caliper. IMHO it is better to keep it dry. Lube would attract dirt and create an abrasive.

Per the plans it should be centered to pretty close tolerances to minimize wear.

Last edited:
thanks everyone

Thanks- I will go ahead and epoxy mine as well. I figured I was lucky to still find it on the pitot tube this time, particularly given that it happened during a round trip sightseeing trip from Indianapolis to Chicago that was nearly 3 hours of flight time!

I would also be interested in the cost of this little thing.

I recall some previous discussions on lubricant and there was some question as to whether any should be used, as it would attract and retain dirt/grit and might actually expedite wear. However, I think the maintenance manual does show some form of lubrication.

Jeff

proseal even better

I like the proseal idea even better Larry, as that should allow for easier removal than epoxy if it needs to be replaced.

Was typing my reply on the lubricant issue before I saw yours!

Jeff

need for replacement

Steve:

I presume both the bushing and the pitot tube will wear over time- in fact, the maintenance manual addresses the potential need to replace either as I recall. This would be the driver for a replacement and the reason I have been hesitant to use anything that might produce a bond that is essentially permanent. I also presumed this is the reason Van's had us use something other than epoxy in the builder's manual. I sure would much rather only have to replace the bushing than to end up damaging the spinner trying to remove it and then having to replace the spinner as well!

Jeff

Okay...here's the skinny!

Remember; this is an airplane part!....$17.00

I use my through the 'gearbox pitot' to power my standby steam guage airspeed indicator. I installed a pitot tube in the left wing to run my angle of attack in the Dynon. The airspeeds display within 1 knott of each other and the angle of attack just brings back fond memories in an A-4 Slyhawk.

Hey...it's fun!

Jay Sluiter
N124CS
Albany, OR (S12)

Loose at 20 hours

Gotta love this forum! I found my spinner bushing loose after reading this, at only 20 hours of operation. I used a SMALL amount of epoxy and will include it in the pre-flight check. If it ever needs to be replaced I think it could be cut forward of the spinner and then sanded flush without damaging the fiberglass.

Wayne 120241/143WM

Well, I just found this thread, but unfortunately after I lost my spinner bushing :). Can anyone confirm the current part number for the 12iS or perhaps better yet does anyone have one they would sell me? Hoping to go on a trip next week for Thanksgiving and not sure if I will be able to get anything from Vans.

bushing spares

For anyone that needs one: I ordered two in a moment of frustration - and got two left. PM if you need one (shipping Europe...)

I think many RV12 has experienced the "why is the pitot bushing hanging off my tube..." moment....at least before the fuel sealant add....loctite was useless.

I tried super glue - then did epoxy. Might be better options.

I just followed the plans and used fuel-tank sealant and have had no issues after over 350 hrs. Don’t forget to roughen up both surfaces with sand paper too for good adhesion.

I was able to get one from Vans and used epoxy during install yesterday. Hopefully this does the trick. I truly appreciate those who offered assistance or to provide the bushing. Pretty solid community to be a part of.

Back