What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Three Fuselage questions

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
I'm about ready to skin the fuselage and remember quite a bit of discussion on a couple of points. I'd like to verify that I've remembered the consensus opinion correctly.
1) Spar slots in side skin should be cut about 1/8" wider (not taller??) than the instructions say, which would put the cuts outside of the punched holes.

2) do not install the top skin (turtledeck) when shown-- wait until all wiring (including control cables???) is in place.

3) There was quite a bit of discussion about putting shims under the ruddder pedals to allow clearance for wiring. How thick and where? Does anybody have a photo that they can post or send?

Thanks guys

Wayne 120241 N143WM

Wayne,

Just take the rudder pedals off completely. Yes its helps to wiring to keep the back window off and you must enlarge the spar holes up, down and sideways...there is nothing structural about the holes but the skin is so thin there you will rip it up putting the wings in.

1. I would wait until you are ready to install the wings, measure the spar closest to the wing skin and open it up then. An angled die grinder with a 2" sanding pads makes quick work of it.

2. Marty left the turtle deck skin off & I wished I would have. Make it very easy to access the back area, IE fuel lines, pump, tanks, wiring.

3. I believe Vans had a revision for the issues we had early on with the peddles. Not a problem now, but like Wayne said just leave them out for now.

Wayne, if you haven't installed the bottom skin yet, do yourself a favor and refer to page 28-06. That AN837-4D fitting, in figure 1 is MUCH easier to instal, before the skin is fitted. In fact, if I were to do it over again, I would instal the ENTIRE tunnel fuel system ( section 28) before I put the side skins on. Take this advice for what it's worth. Steve

Back