What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Light Sport or Experimental?

Tony_T

Well Known Member
Patron
Can anyone say which is the correct designation to display in the cockpit of the ELSA -12? The reason I'm asking is with regard to the interior option. The option order form asks if you wish "EXPERIMENTAL" to be embroidered on the baggage bulkhead.
Paragraph 45.23 of the regulations says to display LIGHT SPORT or EXPERIMENTAL "as applicable".

Tony

Placards

Van's factory airplane says "light sport" now that it is an SLSA. Before it had its certification changed it said "Experimental". They supplied "Experimental" decals with the -12 kit and the FAA inspector didn't say anything about it so I guess that is what it is supposed to be. My guess is that if it is factory made it is an SLSA and if we make it it's ELSA.

Rich

Can anyone say which is the correct designation to display in the cockpit of the ELSA -12? The reason I'm asking is with regard to the interior option. The option order form asks if you wish "EXPERIMENTAL" to be embroidered on the baggage bulkhead.
Paragraph 45.23 of the regulations says to display LIGHT SPORT or EXPERIMENTAL "as applicable".

Tony
Tony- Yes, the 12 is an LSA- but it is, also an experimental. As a disclaimer to your possible passengers, you need to display the word EXPERIMENTAL in clear view in the cockpit. Whether you have it embroidered on the rear bulkhead cover or in view with a large decal, is up to you. Steve

Common LSA confusion....

LSA is a generic term that refers to 2 very different FAA licensing categories.

The RV-12 prototype was designed and licensed under the rules as an S-LSA. HOWEVER, as I understand it, the RV-12 kit as approved and issued when the builder buys it, can only be licensed as an E-LSA, which is a different licensing animal under EXPERIMENTAL category.

SPECIAL (Pink) A/W certificates fall under the following categories:
Light-Sport (S-LSA)
Limited
Restricted- crop dusters, aerial survey, etc
Special Flight Permit- ferry permits, etc
Experimental
Research & Development
Amateur Built
Exhibition
Air Racing
To Show Compliance
Crew Training
Market Survey
Operating Light Sport (E-LSA)

Other Van's planes are "Experimental-Amateur Built".
The RV-12 would be" Experimental - Operating Light Sport"

The "LIGHT SPORT" placard is only for Light Sport category aircraft which are SLSAs.

The customer built RV-12 is an Experimental Light Sport aircraft which falls into the "EXPERIMENTAL" category.

Even if the RV-12 is built as amateur-built, it still falls in the experimental category.

I don't know how much room there is on the -12's tip-up but on my -9 I didn't want the "Experimental" sticker in my baggage compartment so I put it under the tip-up glairshield so it is displayed as you climb in but out of sight the rest of the time.

(Click to enlarge)

YEP!

I don't know how much room there is on the -12's tip-up but on my -9 I didn't want the "Experimental" sticker in my baggage compartment so I put it under the tip-up glairshield so it is displayed as you climb in but out of sight the rest of the time.

(Click to enlarge)

That's where it's been on my -6 for over 16 years.

(Click to enlarge)

The experimental placard has to be 2 inches tall.
There is not that much room on the RV-12 canopy...different design than the other models.

Back