What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Extra hardware after finishing the wings?

CubedRoot

Well Known Member
I am probably 98% done with my wings. All thats left is to rivet on the bottom skins, and attach the flaps, and of course fiberglass work. However, I've noticed a good bit of "extra" hardware left over. I understand there's several bolts and nuts to attach the wings to the center section later on, but I have several shorter AN3 and AN4 bolts, washers, nuts, and other bits extra, and not used.

I also have a decent amount of platenuts and pulled rivets of all shapes and sizes left over.

Am I missing something here? Did I forget to attach something? I've been very thorough in the build, and triple checking things as I go, so I don't *think* I've missed this much stuff.

Does Van's ship extra hardware in the wing kit that gets used later on in the build?

Stuff

Sometimes I wonder. There are so many unidentified bolts and rivets in my pile right now that I could probably get through most of another plane.

There are a few shoulder bolts I still haven't identified, cotter pins, washers, you name it.

Maybe Vans just sweeps the floor at night and you get a bag of extra stuff. Bags are even label "extra" sometimes...

Anyhow. Fitting the cowl now and I occasionally discover a part that's needed. Just keep going thru the pile, it'll get used somewhere!

extra HW

It's been a while, but I recall some bags containing some hardware for parts of the build that are yet to come. Simple example, if you need 4 nutplates for the wings, and one for the fuselage, they might send you 5 and tell you to keep the straggler for the next kit.

Back