- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:08 AM

Default TED Transponder vs 978MHz TED

Previous owner had a NavWorx unit installed. Transponder uses a Delta Pop and there is a TED on the belly as well. How would I determine if the correct TED is installed e.g. the 978MHz version ? I am thinking the length of the antenna may make it a transponder vs 978MHz changing the bandwidth, but just a guess. Would like to use it if possible for the EchoUAt unit I am getting ready to install. The TED is mounted in the tail cone...delta pop just behind the firewall.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:32 AM

A transponder antenna will be about 1/4" shorter (2.659" vs 2.408") than a 978MHz antenna, so shorter but not by much.

Even though others here will swear it is a disaster waiting to happen, for our application you can use it with no problem. Now, if you are in a controlled laboratory environment with sensitive measuring equipment then you will notice an improvement with an antenna cut specifically to 978Mhz instead of 1060Mhz. But with a good installation you really won't see a difference in operations.

FWIW I have been using a regular transponder antenna for my 978UAT receiver since 2013 and get the same reception as others, flying with specifically designed ADS-B antennas. At the end it comes down to a decision based on costs, ease of installation and looks more than anything else.

2020 Donation made
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com

Last edited by GalinHdz : 02-04-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:37 AM

TED transponder antenna length (base to tip) is 2 7/16” long whereas the TED ADSB antenna length (base to tip) is 2 21/32” long which is a difference of about 7/32 if my math is right. The antenna specs can be found on the ACS site.

....or basically what Galin said!
RV-10 N104BS (Sold)
2020 VAF donation cheerfully submitted!
Old 02-04-2019, 09:09 AM

Thanks Galin and Brian for your response. I have pulled the specs for both from ACS. I just pulled out the documentation on the NAVWORX and it says use either a RAMI AV11 or RAMI AV74. YEAH ME ! No sliding down the tail cone to replace. I willl measure it to be sure. Again thanks!