What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

cabin top door trim for McMaster-Carr seal install

Most all search threads say to go to Ivan's website and watch his video for these measurements

https://ivankristensen.smugmug.com/Building-an-RV-10-EXPERIMENTAL-aircraft/Cabin-doors/

In the video he specifies:
1 5/16" edge/lip distance for the top
1" edge/lip distance for the aft pillar
7/8" edge/lip distance for the bottom of the aft pillar

and then the video stops!

Does anyone have any edge/lip measurement information for the forward pillar (same as aft pillar ???) and for the bottom (ideally measured from the fuselage metal door opening ledge to the top of the cabin top bottom door edge ?

I think you also have to look at the pictures in that series where he has a ruler measuring the distances. Sometimes it takes awhile to figure out where he's measuring, but should be able to look at other things in the background to figure out where the shot was taken at..

I'm pretty sure this picture is the forward pillar.

https://ivankristensen.smugmug.com/Building-an-RV-10-EXPERIMENTAL-aircraft/Cabin-doors/i-MbHNqPv/A

Adam,

Yep, that looks like the forward pillar and the 1" matches the aft pillar. All makes sense.

Still can't find a measurement for the bottom of the door opening.

Dan

clearance from door to lip is critical for proper use of bulb seal. Too little and you will struggle to get the door closed. Too much and the bulb will not seal well. I and others have posted quite a bit on this subject, including mfr recommendations for bulb compression. search is your friend. Length of sill is not really important, as long as it is long enough to have full bulb in contact with the flat door surface when compressed.

Larry

Last edited:
clearance from door to lip is critical for proper use of bulb seal. Too little and you will struggle to get the door closed. Too much and the bulb will not seal well. I and others have posted quite a bit on this subject, including mfr recommendations for bulb compression. search is your friend. Length of sill is not really important, as long as it is long enough to have full bulb in contact with the flat door surface when compressed.

Larry

Thanks Larry for your response and previous posts on door to lip seal clearance. I have read yours and many others on this topic and I understand why it is critical. I do believe length of the sill is important as one begins to trim the cabin door opening. Trim too much and you are adding back fiberglass and that takes extra time. I'm trying to get a close initial cut of the cabin door opening for the McMaster-Carr. I went to Ivan's site (which everyone says is the place to go to for these measurements) but I can't find the measurement to trim to for the bottom of the door opening on the cabin.

Dan

Thanks Larry for your response and previous posts on door to lip seal clearance. I have read yours and many others on this topic and I understand why it is critical. I do believe length of the sill is important as one begins to trim the cabin door opening. Trim too much and you are adding back fiberglass and that takes extra time. I'm trying to get a close initial cut of the cabin door opening for the McMaster-Carr. I went to Ivan's site (which everyone says is the place to go to for these measurements) but I can't find the measurement to trim to for the bottom of the door opening on the cabin.

Dan

I would wait until the door is installed, so that you can measure for yourself and determine the necessary length. No need to trim the gutter all the way back before the door is installed. I used a quoted clearance from this site and paid the price in extra work and extra cost. Learn the variables and measure for yourself.

Larry

Last edited:
I would wait until the door is installed, so that you can measure for yourself and determine the necessary length. No need to trim the gutter all the way back before the door is installed. I used a quoted clearance from this site and paid the price in extra work and extra cost. Learn the variables and measure for yourself.

Larry

This is what I did too.
Trimmed enough to get the doors to close
Then measured the gap I wanted and sanded down
To that mark.
Even starting with Ivan’s measurements I needed lots of adjustments.

Back