What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Clearing Customs International RV Travel

Frankster13

I am interested to explore flying into Vancouver, Canada, and Baha Mx. Does anyone have experience and know what you need in order to make such a trip. Large N numbers and what else? And how do you clear customs?

I am interested to explore flying into Vancouver, Canada, and Baha Mx. Does anyone have experience and know what you need in order to make such a trip. Large N numbers and what else? And how do you clear customs?

Covid needs to end to go up north I think.

Canpass is easy and US CBP is pretty painless if you arrive on time. You need pay a US CBP user fee to get decal ($30). You used to be able to do this with the CBP officer clearing you but not sure if they still do this. Legally (FCC) you need a Radio Station license for your aircraft and a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit for yourself to fly outside the US.

Not sure about Mexico privately (only flew there under 91K/121), but I know it's not as user friendly and you'll need some cash to make things move.

The AOPA website has good info on border crossing requirements. No need for large N-numbers for Canada if you do not cross the ADIZ.

It's actually more of a PIA returning to the US!

About Mexico...

It may be worth it but It's such a PITA that a colleague bought a Twin Commanche to fly from FL direct to his property in Columbia rather than fly around and stop for fuel in Mexico.

US Customs rules are different when flying North of the US than when flying South of the US.

It's actually more of a PIA returning to the US!
I have found that the other countries Customs services are a LOT easier to work with and significantly friendlier than many US Customs offices. YMMV

I'm told by many that air travel is not restricted into Canada, although it shouldn't be any different than a land crossing when you're talking about private travel. We do have a two week quarantine requirement, so plan on having a place to stay for a while. This may be waived if you are passing through to Alaska, I believe that was the arrangement for the land crossing when crossings were allowed.

Honestly, though, it sounds like you want to come up "to explore" which seems a silly thing to want to do in the midst of a pandemic.

About Mexico...

It may be worth it but It's such a PITA that a colleague bought a Twin Commanche to fly from FL direct to his property in Columbia rather than fly around and stop for fuel in Mexico.

I visit Mexico via airplane about 15 times per year. Never have really found it to be difficult.

Especially if you stay away from the major resort areas, I think that Mexico is quite easy to fly to/from, quite inexpensive, and overall a good time.

Check out the Baja Bush Pilots website for further information on requirements, and what you can expect.

FLASH

Got a BAJA Bush Pilot alert earlier this week where some Mexican AOE airport commandants are not accepting Experimental CofAs as Mexico doesn't have a bilateral agreement regarding them... They are taking this up with the Mexican Central Aviation authority down there, but don't expect quick reply *** they say that office is virtually closed due to the pandemic.
So check before you fly south!

Last edited:
Large N numbers and what else?

By my read large N numbers are not required. One of the requirements is to carry the Canada Standardized Validation and according to it:
4. the nationality and registration marks assigned to the aircraft by the Federal Aviation Administration shall be displayed on the aircraft in accordance with the requirements of the United States
I've flown my RV-6 with 3 inch numbers across the border a bunch of times and never been called out on it. Then again customs clearance up there is usually just a phone call.

By my read large N numbers are not required.....
I've flown my RV-6 with 3 inch numbers across the border a bunch of times and never been called out on it. Then again customs clearance up there is usually just a phone call.

12” numbers are required if crossing an ADIZ. Most of the US-Canada border is not an ADIZ.

Covid needs to end to go up north I think.

Canpass is easy and US CBP is pretty painless if you arrive on time. You need pay a US CBP user fee to get decal ($30). You used to be able to do this with the CBP officer clearing you but not sure if they still do this. Legally (FCC) you need a Radio Station license for your aircraft and a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit for yourself to fly outside the US.

Not sure about Mexico privately (only flew there under 91K/121), but I know it's not as user friendly and you'll need some cash to make things move.

No issues with flying into Canada in spite of covid. You can go either way.

I did extensive planning last year for this crossing. There are three separate set of issues, flight ops/communications, customs border protection, and official paperwork, passes etc. Definitely get the $30 sticker, it takes a few weeks, so plan ahead. As mentioned, get the AOPA information, think it through and get your licenses in order. Radio license, and operators permit. I made calls to nav-Canada at Kamloops and they were very helpful.

I called Bellingham CBP and asked - they have a box painted on the ground. You will have already called and told them you are coming and when. Then you get there and taxi directly to the BOX, call in by phone and sit and wait until they are there in person. You can google the airport, locate the office and zoom-in and see the box.

On departure from US to Canada, do similar - all let customs know you are coming, file a flight plan and be ready to talk to the Canadian "ATC". I was told I would get a squawk from ground, and then transfer at/near the border. No experience yet to know for sure. Yet.

FLASH

Got a BAJA Bush Pilot alert earlier this week where some Mexican AOE airport commandants are not accepting Experimental CofAs as Mexico doesn't have a bilateral agreement regarding them... They are taking this up with the Mexican Central Aviation authority down there, but don't expect quick reply *** they say that office is virtually closed due to the pandemic.
So check before you fly south!
WOW!! I have been flying my experimental airplane in and out of Mexico since 2008 and have never had a problem. But I haven't flown there in the last couple of years so I can't speak of what is currently happening.

IMHO some "procedural" changes may happen but other than that probably not much. It will be interesting to see what comes out of this.

No issues with flying into Canada in spite of covid. You can go either way.

Are you certain about that? You're Canadian, and that is different from an American crossing the border into Canada, I believe. My understanding is that Canadians can fly (even commercial) into the US and then return to Canada, even though they cannot drive across the border. I would like to see the official website/declaration that a US citizen can fly privately into Canada. Too late for me this year to get to the cabin, but from the looks of things, covid may be here in the US for quite some time which may continue to create issues into summer of 2021 for travel. I would be perfectly happy to fly across the border rather than drive, but don't really want to fly 5 hours to the border only to be turned away.....

Thanks for any info you can provide!

WOW!! I have been flying my experimental airplane in and out of Mexico since 2008 and have never had a problem. But I haven't flown there in the last couple of years so I can't speak of what is currently happening.

IMHO some "procedural" changes may happen but other than that probably not much. It will be interesting to see what comes out of this.

According to BBP the airport Commandants read the small print on the Exp CofAs and deemed them invalid and turned those planes back. Sounds like if there isn't a written policy, each Commandant can act however they want...
I hope this is a temporary hiccup.

At least Homebuilts can operate between Canada & US legally with the bilateral agreement that is in place, we just have to carry the FAA or TC letter acknowledging the agreement.

At least Homebuilts can operate between Canada & US legally with the bilateral agreement that is in place, we just have to carry the FAA or TC letter acknowledging the agreement.

FWIW, I have never been asked for, nor have I carried, a copy of that letter when crossing the border in an amateur-built. As a blanket waiver applicable to all amateur-builts it is available online if someone needs to see it.

One sharp agent in Great Falls MT didn't ask to see it, but asked what relevant documents I had to carry to legally fly a Canadian Amateurbuilt in US airspace, kinda leading up to the answer he wanted to hear. I rattled off the usual list of documents & "that letter you have to download off the FAA website" (& yes I had it), to which he smiled & said I was free to go.
I wonder if he would have been smiling if I didn't have that letter that day.
Another time a bored agent asked me for my Radio License, I produced a barely legible piece of paper that hadn't seen the light of day in over 20 years, he didn't even smile but let me go.

Last edited:
FWIW, I have never been asked for, nor have I carried, a copy of that letter when crossing the border in an amateur-built.
Why not? The document states that a copy should be carried on board the aircraft, and it's easy enough to do. In my experience most customs agents don't ask for (and probably don't know) all of the specific documents we're actually supposed to have. But I wouldn't want to tempt fate.

Another time a bored agent asked me for my Radio License, I produced a barely legible piece of paper that hadn't seen the light of day in over 20 years, he didn't even smile but let me go.

This triggered something for, I had my wallet stolen last summer. I totally forgot that little card was in it. Guess I'll have to get a new one. Thanks for the memory poke.

Did he also ask about the FCC radio station license, which you are also supposed to have for non-US travel? I too have the 38 year old piece of cardboard with an FCC stamp on it, but no station license. As much as we complain about FAA fees, you will be shocked to see what the FCC charges for these two pieces of paper.

That occasion the border agent just asked for my radio license, it IS required to have a station license... if you fly outside Canada. Thanks for raising that point.

Licensing Requirements
Do I need a licence for the aeronautical radio equipment on board my aircraft?

You will not require a licence if you meet both of the following criteria:

- the aircraft is not operated in the sovereign airspace of a country other than Canada.
- the radio equipment on board the aircraft is only capable of operating on frequencies that are allocated for aeronautical mobile communications or aeronautical radio navigation. You can verify whether the frequencies you use are in the aeronautical mobile band by referring to Regulation by Reference (RBR-1).
If you do not meet both of the above criteria, you will require a radio licence. You can contact your local Industry Canada office for more information. All of the Industry Canada offices can be found in RIC-66.

If the agent asked me for that... he wouldn't have been smiling...

With respect to Mexico. I live on the USA/Mexico border and see the same aircraft fly back and forth multiple times per month with 3" N numbers. Not just one airplane. Many. They usually are flown by Mexican nationals with US Pilot's Licenses (hence the N Number). Many Mexican pilot's prefer to get a US license so they can legally fly N-Numbered aircraft and skip the Mexican airworthiness BS. They register them with a US agent and get a US annual or condition inspection every year. Sometimes in the US. And sometimes an IA/A&P gets a vacation down to Mexico each year to do inspections. Most of these aircraft are used for business and pleasure. Majority are high-wing Cessnas but there also are EAB N-Numbered aircraft like an RV-4 and Piper Sport. US and Mexico Customs never gives them a bit of flap over their N number size. Customs in each country seems to care less.

With respect to Mexico. I live on the USA/Mexico border and see the same aircraft fly back and forth multiple times per month with 3" N numbers. Not just one airplane. Many. They usually are flown by Mexican nationals with US Pilot's Licenses (hence the N Number). Many Mexican pilot's prefer to get a US license so they can legally fly N-Numbered aircraft and skip the Mexican airworthiness BS. They register them with a US agent and get a US annual or condition inspection every year. Sometimes in the US. And sometimes an IA/A&P gets a vacation down to Mexico each year to do inspections. Most of these aircraft are used for business and pleasure. Majority are high-wing Cessnas but there also are EAB N-Numbered aircraft like an RV-4 and Piper Sport. US and Mexico Customs never gives them a bit of flap over their N number size. Customs in each country seems to care less.
People run red lights every day, doesn't make it legal. Break the law at your own risk. But if/when you get caught, don't become the stereotypical "Ugly American" crying about corruption.

People run red lights every day, doesn't make it legal. Break the law at your own risk. But if/when you get caught, don't become the stereotypical "Ugly American" crying about corruption.

I am the type who can't get by with anything. Can't even catch a break at a traffic stop.

I don't go to Mexico. Never said I did. As written in my post the pilots mentioned do. They can't be ugly Americans as they are Mexican citizens. Mexican nationals with US pilot's licenses who fly N-numbered aircraft. Lecture them. And as is no surprise to you with your level of experience in Mexico there is the system, and then there is "the system".

I am more interested in why it doesn't seem to matter to the US officials at entry.

rv6n6r said:
Why not? The document states that a copy should be carried on board the aircraft, and it's easy enough to do. In my experience most customs agents don't ask for (and probably don't know) all of the specific documents we're actually supposed to have. But I wouldn't want to tempt fate.
Mostly because it's one more piece of paper to carry in an already bulging paperwork folder. But also because it's easy enough to carry a PDF on your phone or tablet. The document is not aircraft specific, it's generic to all canadian amateur-built aircraft.

A link, for reference of anyone who would like to carry the PDF...
https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/ultralights/sfa/media/amateur.pdf

Last edited:
Back