What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Intercom tone generator for autopilot

The TruTrak xCruze autopilot has a buzzer output wire. I'd like to integrate this into the intercom in my GTR200B radio via an aux input. I believe to do this I'll need a tone generator, but the only one I can find is this, and it seems... well, a bit mickey mouse.

Does anybody know of any other options?

The TruTrak xCruze autopilot has a buzzer output wire. I'd like to integrate this into the intercom in my GTR200B radio via an aux input. I believe to do this I'll need a tone generator, but the only one I can find is this, and it seems... well, a bit mickey mouse.

What’s mickey mouse about that? In any event, a tone generator can be done quite simply with a 555 IC and a few other bits. I suspect that’s what the linked solution is, actually. Put that in a small project box, mount it, and be done.

Take a look at a DTMF tone generator it is low cost and has a sound similar to what’s heard in multi million dollar Jets.

I selected keypad tone #1, (R1 & C1 connected and delete the keypad) and connected it to one of the un switched inputs on the intercom, wired +12vdc to the board and the ground wire back to pin 12 on the 385R autopilot.

Check out the tones here

What’s mickey mouse about that? In any event, a tone generator can be done quite simply with a 555 IC and a few other bits. I suspect that’s what the linked solution is, actually. Put that in a small project box, mount it, and be done.

I used to make and sell a tone generator in a nice package. Not a profitable business.

V

I used to make and sell a tone generator in a nice package. Not a profitable business.

V

Alas, I tried to buy that very tone generator (and the audio mixer) from Maker Plane earlier this year but was out of luck! They looked really nice. I particularly liked the failsafe audio feature of the mixer.

So I was hoping to buy something ready made and not have to figure out soldering or project boxes and the like, but needs must. Sounds like we're not awash with options so I'll probably just bite the bullet and get the Gretz thing.

Back