What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

extreme oil pressure

rwarre

Well Known Member
Trying to troubleshoot a high oil pressure problem(145) with my newly overhauled engine. I don't believe that the pressure is really 145. The pressure valve is new with the engine so don't know if those would fail. I am thinking either the sender or maybe a ground connection problem. Have read several of the threads, but wanted to see if anyone had a similar situation.

Freshly overhauled, the spring tension on the pressure relief could be way too high. Put a genuine analog gauge on the pressure source to verify.

Is this engine installed with the previously proven senders? If so, they likely can be trusted. New sensors have a VERY low probability of not reading correctly.

I would be concerned that the pressure indication is real. There several different springs available and it is possible to have that much pressure due to the wrong spring or wrong adjustment. You'll want to deal with that right away, as it is WAY too much pressure.

I would turn it out several turns before the next start.

Larry

relief valve

Have turned the relief valve screw 5 full turns but after the engine gets warm my efis indicates 145 psi. Upon start up it was reading 72, so something either gets stuck or failing.

Randy---get a known good mechanical gauge and check it.
Was this a field overhaul, or done by an engine shop? If so, wonder what the pressure was on the engine stand?
Tom

Have turned the relief valve screw 5 full turns but after the engine gets warm my efis indicates 145 psi. Upon start up it was reading 72, so something either gets stuck or failing.

That sounds more like a sensor issue. Definately get a mechanical gauge on the engine to confirm the sensor output. If the gauge reads the same, hot and cold, it's time to take the relief unit off and have a look. Avoid significant RPM until you confirm the oil pressure.

Larry

Agree with all the requests to read with a mechanical gauge. In addition, have you contacted whoever did the OH? I would get them involved ASAP.

mechanical gauge

Checked oil pressure with mechanical gauge. Got to 70 psi and stayed. Looked at my EFIS(mgl) and it read 145. Definitely not a pressure problem. Thanks for all the help.

Checked oil pressure with mechanical gauge. Got to 70 psi and stayed. Looked at my EFIS(mgl) and it read 145. Definitely not a pressure problem. Thanks for all the help.

In order to get reliable oil pressure I grounded the case of my sender. I found it was not enough to simply clamp a bare wire to the case, it needed to be soldered.

I used a grinder wheel on a dremmel to rough up a small flat spot on the case of the sender. I had to use a small butane torch to heat the spot up quickly and hot enough for the solder to properly adhere. Soldered on a short 18AWG grounding lead with a terminal on it and stuck it under a bolt head on the firewall.

Back