What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil weights in the midwest

Pilot8

Well Known Member
My RV8 lives in warm sunny California, so I can't advise my Iowa based brother on what weight oil to use in his newly purchased RV7A. He bought the RV7A this year from a guy in Seattle, so no joy on using the previous owner's choices. For you guys in the midwest: what weights do you use throughout the year?

Last edited:
My RV8 lives in warm sunny California, so I can't advise my Iowa based brother on what weight oil to use in his newly purchased RV7A. He bought the RV7A this year from a guy in Seattle, so no joy on using the previous owner's choices. For you guys in the midwest: what weights do you use throughout the year?

I used multi-weight oil in my airplane for the past 23-years. I have been based SoCal, South Western Pennsylvania, and now North Carolina.

The Lycoming (or other aircraft engine) manual has the recommended oils listed for the different temperature ranges.

Yup, got the list of oil weights in my POH. Looking for real world experience from people who fly in the midwest during the winter.

Last edited:
A straight weigh detergent oil probably gives a little better rust protection as it runs off at a slower rate. Multi-grades are fine but you should not leave your engine sit for weeks or months (you shouldn't do this anyway). I advocate pre-heating when temperatures are even close to freezing. I won't start until the oil will drip off the dipstick.

A straight weigh detergent oil probably gives a little better rust protection as it runs off at a slower rate. Multi-grades are fine but you should not leave your engine sit for weeks or months (you shouldn't do this anyway). I advocate pre-heating when temperatures are even close to freezing. I won't start until the oil will drip off the dipstick.

First, we don't use detergent oil in aviation; Only AD additive. Second, most straight weights are simply too thick (unless you can find an SAE 30 wt aviation oil anymore) for the 0 degree and lower temps this guy will see in Iowa.

Last edited:
Good to know- two guys who use 20W-50 year; that is what I was looking to find out, does it work year around. Do you add cam guard?

I use 15W50 here in STL year round. I preheat anytime temps are below 30F. I also fly at least an hour every week even in winter (love that extra performance). I use no aftermarket additives. All seems normal with engine wear now for near 1000 hours.
I recommend following Lycoming recommendations. Mine is based on limited experience.

Last edited:
15W50 Aeroshell year around with Reiff Preheat and remote phone switch (no internet).

Good to know- two guys who use 20W-50 year; that is what I was looking to find out, does it work year around. Do you add cam guard?

Year round here. See no benefit to going straight weight in the summer. Philips XC 20W50 is a well proven oil for year round use. I do use cam gaurd, but have no real evidence that it helps.

Larry

Straight weight Aeroshell 100W plus Camguard, and I always preheat.

I bought into the extra corrosion protection from thicker oil when I have some down time where i don't fly.

Back