What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need suggestions

rwarre

Well Known Member
Just got back from Ohio with my newly overhauled engine minus the oil filler tube. (It was getting painted). Have been installing the engine and am now ready to start it up, but have gotten the tube yet. Anyway to plug the tube receiver so I can get some intial break in procedures accomplished? I need a 1 ⅛ straight thread plug

There are expanding freeze plugs used in automotive engines that might do the trick. They consist of a rubber plug, washer and bolt/nut. They come in various diameters and are used to repair rusted freeze plugs.

I would strongly advise you to wait for the proper parts to arrive. There no rush to get this done, if there is you shouldn't be flying.

Tube is sealed by a gasket & I think the straight thread would be damaged if you tried to torque a tapered pipe plug in there.
Best to shift to other tasks for a few days.

No issues with a plug instead of a tube, assuming you can otherwise insure adequate oil volume.\. Just be sure to get the right thread pitch. The threads are aluminum and easily galled. As mentioned, it is a straight thread, not NPT. Destroying those threads would make for a bad day.

Larry

Last edited:
Back