What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-540 engine mount brackets (boss)

bnovak1220

Patron
Hello all,
So I started today to mount my engine on the plane. Lycoming sent the engine with the mounting brackets for me to install. My question is what tool do you use to tightened the forward two nuts on each bracket - especially the ones on the bottom of the engine. A socket doesn’t fit and my crowsfoot doesn’t work either. Not to mention these probably need to be torqued to ( my guess around 190 in lb) there was no manual or documents with the engine giving specs. (Plan on calling Lycoming about this Monday)
One thought I had was to file down the crowsfoot but see this could just break when I try to get the correct torque.
Any advise you guys have would be most welcome 🙏

You should consider adding wrenches to your arsenal. I find them to be indispensable when doing engine work. I had no issues getting those nuts tight with a wrench.

Larry

Thanks for replying Larry.
Umm yes I have a ton of wrenches. I am going to attempt to attach pictures so that everyone can see what I am trying to do. A Standard 9/16" wrench will not even get a good bite on this bottom nut and even if it did there is no room to turn it. (not alone get a torque value on it - which perhaps it doesn't need but am going to call Lycoming Monday about it)
So anyone if there is a special tool (or special wrench) you used to get these tight please let me know.

Thanks in Advance!

Attachments

• IMG_5832.jpg
    IMG_5832.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_5831.jpg
    IMG_5831.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 214
Thanks for replying Larry.
Umm yes I have a ton of wrenches. I am going to attempt to attach pictures so that everyone can see what I am trying to do. A Standard 9/16" wrench will not even get a good bite on this bottom nut and even if it did there is no room to turn it. (not alone get a torque value on it - which perhaps it doesn't need but am going to call Lycoming Monday about it)
So anyone if there is a special tool (or special wrench) you used to get these tight please let me know.

Thanks in Advance!

Your pan looks like it may be different than mine. It was too long ago to remember what I did, but I know that I didn't have to use special tools. I remember one of the nuts requiring some creativity. I think you have to trust the forearm torque wrench in this application.

If you continue to struggle, I am sure you can make a socket fit with creative grinding with a cut off tool.

Larry

Last edited:
I am pretty sure I used my cylinder wrench's to get those nuts torqued IIRC on my IO-540. I do have a pretty good arsenal of modified wrenches for specific applications though: cut, grind, and weld, until they work.

Hey Guys
Thanks for all the replies!
Is this the kind of cylinder wrench you are talking about?

Attachments

• 3882-X.jpg
    3882-X.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 148
Back