What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS-01231C-1 rivet

KEG

Patron
RV 12iS - KAI page 9iS/U -07

Anyone know how to reach the most aft, outboard, an rivets on HS-01231c-1 rivets with a squeezer? What yoke works? I have 3, including the flange yoke from Cleaveland, and cannot reach them.

RV 12iS - KAI page 9iS/U -07

Anyone know how to reach the most aft, outboard, an rivets on HS-01231c-1 rivets with a squeezer? What yoke works? I have 3, including the flange yoke from Cleaveland, and cannot reach them.

What part is KAI 9 building?

This is the "gusset, stabilator hinge" part from the Horizontal Stabilator section.

I don't have the plans with me right now. But I can tell you that I was able to do everything with a squeezer and a 3" yoke.

I think this gusset plate was part of the SB that came out a year or two ago for the stabilator .. mine was a retrofit, not new construction.. so my instructions were probably a little more complicated than for you with new construction.

AN Rivets

The KAI calls for subject rivets on the inboard side, and calls out LP-4 rivets for the outboard portion.

The most aft-outboard rivets in that location are LP4-3, you should have no need to get the squeezer around those.

Your clue here is the final drilling, vs the callout for the 470AD3-3.5 rivets. In step number 3 you are directed to final drill #30 the holes indicated. A #30 hole would be too big for an AD3 rivet.

For the gussets it's pulled rivets outboard, solid rivet inboard.

Sorry for not being clear... that is a reference to the page number in the Kit Assembly Instructions. Other responses have answered y question. Thanks

I was confused by the instructions referenced in this thread (and by the fact that one the rivets I used is different than illustrated on 9iS/U-07). I went back and looked at the SB: https://www.vansaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/sb18-02-02.pdf

Picture 8 does show one of the three gusset rivets to be a 4-3. Step 23 says,

"Final-Drill #30 the single hole indicated in Figure 8 common to the gussets and the Inboard Hinge Bracket Assembly."

Hence those of us who complied with the service bulletin did not have any difficulty squeezing that rivet :)

Back