What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivet help

msmst25

Well Known Member
Can anybody give me a suggestion on how to install these rivets? There are quite a few spots like this mating the forward and aft fuselage sections.

Untitled by Matt McCoy, on Flickr

One on the left, remove the nut and tap the bolt in to give clearance for the bar. One on the right, lay a thin bar on it's side or use a bar with a "foot". Obviously a two-person job.

Last edited:
I would also pull that long bolt and put in a size or 2 shorter. You are looking for 1 washer, and a couple threads remaining sticking out of the nut.

I used the hardware called out in the plans. Is that just a preference or is there a reason that I should be doing that in other places as well.
By the way, thanks for all of the responses. I greatly appreciate the feedback on here. I don't have any close friends that know how to do this, so this is a great resource.
I ordered a couple of bucking bars because I can foresee other places that are going to be challenging.
Out of curiosity, would it be acceptable to use a cherrymax rivet in this location?

Bolts

Those bolts look fine to me, so long as there is enough thread above the washer for the torqued nut, which I expect there is. Photo attached of some similar specified hardware on my project, these have been inspected and checked OK!

Attachments

• 20201105_141431.jpg
    20201105_141431.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 142
Deburred?

Those holes don’t look like they’ve been deburred? Maybe it’s just hard to tell from the picture...

WRT bolt length - Ref AC43-13b

7-37. GRIP LENGTH. In general, bolt grip lengths of a fastener is the thickness of the material the fastener is designed to hold when two or more parts are being assembled. Bolts of slightly greater grip length may be used, provided washers are placed under the nut or bolthead. The maximum combined height of washers that should be used is 1/8 inch. This limits the use of washers necessary to compen- sate for grip, up to the next standard grip size. Over the years, some fasteners specifications have been changed. For this reason, it is recommended when making repairs to an aircraft, whose original hardware is being replaced, that you must first measure the bolt before ordering, rather than relying on the parts manual for identification. In the case of plate nuts, if proper bolt grip length is not available, add shims under the plate. All bolt installations which involve self-locking or plain nuts should have at least one thread of the bolt protruding through the nut.

Back