What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tall pilot option

Here is a photo of it in my -8. I’ll sell it if you are interested. I didn’t need that much room and took it out to give the GIB more room.

Attachments

• C4AC0E8B-6DB9-46EA-8F95-75DB419B035D.jpeg
    C4AC0E8B-6DB9-46EA-8F95-75DB419B035D.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 271
Vans list it as WD-823-PC for $299. I’ll sell for $199 plus shipping. It was installed but never flown. Removed and the std seat bar installed in its place.
Bill

@Scroggin

I am 6’4” and i have the normal setup. My rudder-pedals are in the most forward position possible and i only have a 1” seat-back cushion. To raise my eye-sight position i either use a 3” thick foam-pillow to sit on or my seat-pack parachute. A back-pack parachute, even the thin ones, would push me to far forward to be comfortable with the aft stick travel stop position (straight/stock stick).
It works out for me, but the total height / body-length says nothing in particular.
You should measure your leg length (spine to toe) and torso height (Rear end to hair end) whilst sitting straight.
Then compare to the data to the cockpit dimension on mothership homepage or In the construction manual.

Easiest and best would be to (seat) test it in a RV-8 itself.

Agree it would be best to sit in one to try it out. I'm also 6'4" and have the tall pilot option and fly with the "ground adjustable" rudder pedals all the way forward. I believe current kits also have an option to move the seat bottom back for more leg room. That would let you adjust for your body/leg proportions.

Fly with either a 3" cushion or my parachute which is also about 3" thick (made the cushion to match the chute). I have to duck to close the canopy, but have great visibility. 99% of my flying is solo, so don't regret the tall pilot option at all.

Back