What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AVSTAR fuel injection documentation?

Iluke

Well Known Member
I bought a new experimental Lycoming XIO-360 through Vans and it came with an AVSTAR fuel injection system, but no documentation on it at all.

No installation instructions, not parts diagrams, no operating instructions. Nada.

So I looked on AVSTAR's website assuming I'd be able to download documentation, but found nothing. So, I called AVSTAR and they said that they don't provide any documentation on their systems. I'd have to call Lycoming. I called Lycoming and they said, no AVSTAR doesn't provide any documentation.

Now, all this I find quite incredible, but taking it at face value, I asked the very nice Lycoming customer service guy how they, Lycoming, know how to install and operate AVSAR FI units. He said they'd developed in-house procedures over the years.

He did offer that Airflow Performance units were virtually the same as AVSTAR units and maybe Airflow Performance instructions would work. So I checked and yes, Airflow Performance Inc does have installation, operation and service documentation on their website, but looking at it the FI unit in the pictures does not physically look like the AVSTAR unit that came with my Lycoming.

So here's my question: Does anyone have any insight or experience to confirm or contradict what I've been told?

For those of you who have installed a factory experimental XIO-360, did you have any documentation to go by on the FI system?

And yes, it is pretty obvious where it bolts on to the engine, and the "fuel in" and 'Fuel out" ports are marked so I'm not helpless here, but I always believe it is good practice to find, read, and follow manufacturer's instructions on something this important.

Any help would be much appreciated.
thanks
Ivan

Ivan----I'd call Don Rivera at Air Flow Performance. He probably has more experience with Bendix type servos than anyone around. Even though he makes the AFP servos, he services the Bendix style---and the Avstar is a knockoff of the Bendix.

Tom

I went to Precision Airmotive and used some of their docs. Some of the part numbers were even identical to the Avstar parts. YMMV!

Ivan----I'd call Don Rivera at Air Flow Performance. He probably has more experience with Bendix type servos than anyone around. Even though he makes the AFP servos, he services the Bendix style---and the Avstar is a knockoff of the Bendix.

Tom
Thanks, Tom. I'll do that.

Anyone found any further hints towards locating AVSTAR's docs for the servo? It is indeed shocking that there's nothing available!

Now at least I have documentation, thank you! Also reached out to Don Rivera at AFP, very helpful answering my questions on the Avstar unit.

Back