What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lightspeed Ignition - No Spark at Coils

corbinaviation

I'm New Here
New guy here and have looked through the forum looking for anyone with experience with not getting a spark during the phasing test of install with the Lightspeed ignition. We have tried all troubleshooting steps as well as reached out to Klaus 2-3 times. Still no luck on tracking down what the issue might be, although, we are hoping to hear back from him today.

We are seeing voltage through the breakers as well as returning from the DC mini sensors and out to the coils. We are not getting a drop in voltage at the input connector to the ignition module when we spin the prop at #1 TDC by hand or using the starter. Therefore, we are not able to get a spark on any of the coils.

Since we are seeing 5v returning from the DC mini sensor we are starting to believe the magnet plate is no good. Although it seems rare that is a point of failure.

If our issue sounds familiar to anyone here I would greatly appreciate any ideas or suggestions.

Could you have the mini-sensor mounted too far from the magnets or off center? I would remove the flywheel, take the plugs out and lay them on top of the engine and with the ignition on, swipe any old kind of magnet by the mini-sensor pads. You should get spark at the plugs.

It might help to make an L-shaped jig that you can hold against the prop flange and use to set the mini-sensor position. The upper horizontal arm of the L will be the depth of the flywheel + the thickness of the magnet ring metal + the sensor gap (.030 to .060). Mark the sensor pad height as needed. Capiche?

Back