What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pilot Height

Amadeus

Well Known Member
I'm 6'2" 210 pounds. Shoulder to shoulder: 22" and seat cushion to top of head: 40". Will the RV-12 work for me?

I have narrowed down my build options to the RV-12is and Zenith CH750 Cruzer. There is a 750 Cruzer at my airport and the owner has allowed me to "try it on." However, there are only RV-9, RV-8, RV-10 and RV-14 in a 50 mile radius - no RV-12iS.

I'm 6'2" 210 pounds. Shoulder to shoulder: 22" and seat cushion to top of head: 40". Will the RV-12 work for me?

I have narrowed down my build options to the RV-12is and Zenith CH750 Cruzer. There is a 750 Cruzer at my airport and the owner has allowed me to "try it on." However, there are only RV-9, RV-8, RV-10 and RV-14 in a 50 mile radius - no RV-12iS.

I am 62 yrs of age, 6'5" and 250#... 36" inseam. I had to modify the thickness of the foam for seat pad and back pad cushions as provided by Flight Designs. I can take about 2.5 hours of flight time, max before needing to get out and either stretch or visit the rest room... YMMV, but I do fit in the plane.

You can definitively answer your question if you can find someone with a RV-12 near by and ask if you can do a test sit in their plane.

My feet are not on the rudders, here, i have them a bit drawn up towards my chest on the floorboard.

Last edited:
BTW,

I'm at 1004' ASL at my airport. Been hauling around an instructor and seeing 750 to 900 fpm climb rate, with DA at 2800 to 3600 in the summer time. Now that it's fall and I've just solo'd and I am flying alone, 1300 fpm with 14 gallons of fuel on board and me, plane weighs 770#.

Definitely climbs quite well when flying solo... ymmv, Basalt is a lot higher elevation to start with. If you really feel experimental, buy a used RV-12 and drop a 115 HP 914 Turbo in it for flying around in Colorado. That would probably be perfect for where you live and fly, climb rate wise.

I’m an average off the shelf height of 5’10”. My buddy who is building his 12 is about 6’1”, and he pulls out the booster block under the seat cushion when we fly in mine. That seems to work for him.

Back