What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

new "wanna be" builder. Lol

hebertm1

I'm New Here
Hello to all.
I am new to the world of experimental aircraft and absolutely new to actually building an aircraft myself. I have mixed emotions about everything but I am assuming my feelings of anxiety and some partial guilt is new to the whole process. I am a 48 year old MSgt in the Air Force as a Jet engine Mechanic so I am by no means "rich" with money but definitely rich with hopes, commitment and dreams. I have a 16yr old, young man who is a junior in high school, an awesome athlete and is sympathetic to my dreams of building an aircraft but is always asking me, "where are you going to keep it?" not knowing I will have space at my local airport when the plane will be done. My wife says she is on board but with kind of a "sideways" knod and look. I always put my family first, but not really sure what to do. Anyone else ever ride this roller coaster before the process even started?

"wanna be builder"

I also forgotten to mention that I have recently purchased the Vans tool box kit and flap kit to hopefully begin my journey. I do not have the rivet gun kit or dimplier kit yet. Is there a community of experienced builders that sell their tools after no longer use or is it better to buy new if this is my first time?

You can do it, many have, we aren't special ... just takes persistence and attention to detail. Did I mention persistence?

There are toolkits available so you don't have to hunt things down. If you aren't in a hurry you can find deals on used stuff.

Definitely get your family involved, it's a multi-year commitment that will take a lot (most :eek:) of your free time. If you can get them on board it will be an awesome project that they won't forget! :D

(not to mention motivate your 16yo to get his private)

Last edited:
Tools

In my years of being on this list most folks seem to keep their tools with the exception of an occasional specialized tool.

Welcome aboard VAF !

You are several years away from needing a hangar , so build all the parts and someday take them to an airport for assembly

Do it!

Measure twice, cut once.

If it doesn't fit (RV-14, RV-12, RV-10) - don't force it. It's because you've done something wrong...

If it doesn't fit (RV-9, 8, 7, 6, 4, 3) - you might need to force it, and it's still something you've done wrong...

Keep 1st aid kit/bandaids handy - you will drill through a [body part].

Don't go cheap on tools.

Have fun - you can do this!

if not do!
1. Join eaa.
2. find and attend some chapter meetings.
3. go to sun and fun and oshkosh flyins.
4. do not include your son in your decision process. good chance he will be married with twins before you make your first flight.
5. for me I had to decide if I was a builder or a mechanic. very different things but some can do both.
s/ ATP/a&p/IA retired

Don't know how often hangars open up near you, but in many places hangars are in short supply, even if you're years from being ready to fly if you buy one now you should be able to rent it out with no problems, and-if you're really lucky-rent it to another RV owner/builder you can get experience from.

Respectfully, I'm going to disagree with OldTee, and with repect to whatever relationship you have with your son, but I'd suggest you offer (but don't force) your son to help you with your build, and include him on trips to the airport. My dad passed long before I started building my plane, but the other times we'd go to any airport and just hang out when I was young are some of my most treasured memories. I wish he had been around long enough to be participating in my build

Good luck!!

Last edited:
New RV 10 builder

Welcome to the decision many of us have recently made.

I have three 17 yr olds and a 16 yr old....long story including my 17 yr old twin daughters and two nephews I took on a few years ago.

We have had lots of fun out in the garage "working" together.

And life is very very busy....but a great time nonetheless.

In three weeks we have the VS done, the rudder almost done and a good start on the horizontal stabilizer.

And this is ALL new to us.

You ever want to talk...send a PM.

Andy

Building the Elephant

Like eating the elephant one bite at a time it is easier to have the elephant at home as you eat, (build) it. I'm almost finished with my RV-8 and I wouldn't be if I had to go someplace other than home to put in building time.

Build the tail. You’ll know if it’s for you or not. I was hooked as soon as I finished the vertical stab. (Was waiting on 3rd set of Horizontal stab spar doublers so I finished the vertical first).

The fact that you have been working on aircraft in the service for years will benefit your ability and attention to detail.

Last edited:
I also forgotten to mention that I have recently purchased the Vans tool box kit and flap kit to hopefully begin my journey. I do not have the rivet gun kit or dimplier kit yet. Is there a community of experienced builders that sell their tools after no longer use or is it better to buy new if this is my first time?

I am exactly in your spot - but still trying to get the tools purchased - about had them but daughters boy friend approached me asking permission to propose so now I'm having to pay for an engagement dinner for 20. last year it was a trip to the Holy Land with the wife. I'm slowly making headway - hang in there.
there are a lot of us out here having to live vicariously through you guys till we can get our own project started.

did i mention i was in my 60's - joined the local EAA chapter and started going to meetings to let them tell my i was crazy and to forget about it. they were totaly uncooperative in that sense - in fact some were older than me and starting projects.

Building my 9A was the only thing keeping me sane after I retired. The feeling you get when the wheels leave the ground for the first time is indescribable. That experience is only surpassed by the feeling you get when you land for the first time. Every take off and every landing is still a thrill even after 75 hours. I had so much fun, met so many great people and learned so much, I started building another airplane. Sounds like you dipped your toe in the water, time to jump in.

The "Tools" section here on VAF has a number of discussions about which tools and why. It's worth browsing there, and pretty soon, you'll have an idea of what to get.

Fairly often, tools come up in the "Classified" section.

For some of the models, it's cheaper to buy one than to build one. But be cautious about the airplane; sometimes a very poorly-built airplane comes up for sale, often as a nearly complete but still unfinished kit. I've seen two of these, both owned by buyers who did not know what to look for. One buyer elected to repair the kit and proceed, knowing that it would take him some extra years. The other sold off some parts and sold the hulk to yet another buyer who planned to repair it. In both cases, potential repairs would be considerably more difficult and take longer than starting from scratch.

On RV-3s, by the way, if a part doesn't fit, that's normal. Few parts do. You haven't done anything wrong. Cope.

Dave
RV-3B, now building the canopy/canopy fairing/canopy frame assembly

MSGT, thanks for your service. This is well within your skill level. I was in the same position several years back, only Navy. I did a ton of research while on deployment for 7 months, came home and moved across the country. Then I ordered my tail kit. Fast forward 10 years, and I've been flying my dream plane for 6 years now. If you have to transfer duty stations in the future, check to be sure the AF will move your big metal pieces. You may have to move them separately. Have fun!!

Joe T
AFCM USN(Ret)
RV-7 flying since 2015
Haller Airpark 7FL4

28 years ago I was in your shoes (wow, it's been that long). I went to a builders meeting in some guy's garage (Brent Olghren actually, I remember it vividly) and saw his HS on the jig and was completely overwhelmed. I'd done a lot of woodworking but this metal & riveting stuff was completely foreign and intimidating as heck.

But I got over it and bought the kit and 6 years later my RV-6 was done and 21 years after that I am still flying it and loving it. My plan was to do it in 2 years -- haha! Maybe could have, but I wouldn't still be married, plus I kept up my flying and currency instead of devoting all my efforts to building (recommended). Also I am one of those guys who "falls in love with every rivet", and from what I can tell they've knocked around 25% off the build time with the newer kits, so your mileage will definitely vary.

Someone said "persistence" -- yeah. If you don't have that, plan to learn it, or maybe reconsider.

I recently finished an RV7a with my son, who is now 15. He is totally into it and it is the best thing we have ever done together.

It is an enormous time sink and will take you away from every other activity if you hope to finish in a moderate amount of time.

Priority to Build or Fly?

Maybe I missed details in the Original Post, but not sure if building or flying is the higher priority. With recent (Oct2020) VAF account date and few (2) posts there’s always a question in my mind of how much VAF history has the OP absorbed.

There’s a wealth of experience and pro/cons on VAF. Life changing events, tremendous satisfaction, lifetime relationships, and many frustrations. Doug, with VAF, has provided a great service to Van’s owners, builders, buyers, sellers, and for cross-country distress/AOG messages. I’ve learned plenty from 9+ years of reading VAF.

Many threads exist about estimating calendar time to build an RV. Seems to me that sharing a build with a full-time job and family results in 5 - 10 years to complete a plane. Of course every builder has their own story, building close to home, some hours almost every day, building their second or third plane, may complete much faster. Relocating home and project, changes in family size, waiting on tools and parts, fixing mistakes, prioritizing family events, all may slow the build.

I wouldn’t be enjoying, since 2011, the life-changing thrills of owning/flying RVs, Oshkosh landings, friendships, gadgets, and mostly good-natured teasing without dedicated builders who took the time, and poured their blood, sweat, and tears to build two excellent RVs.

My 2 cents to anyone interested in starting in RVs, is your satisfaction/goal to build or fly? If you think you will save money by building that may not work out as you expect. Typically there are RVs available for sale, for multiple reasons, some for the rough cost of the components.

Buy and fly works for some of us, and the builder’s advantage is their ability to typically legally sign off the yearly inspection. As a second or tenth non-A&P buyer you can legally do all maintenance yourself, rebuild the engine, convert to a nose-dragger, anything but the yearly inspection sign off.

Is your priority to build or fly?

Carl

Back