What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best tablet PC for cockpit use

svanarts

Well Known Member
Does anyone have any opinions on the best tablet pc for in cockpit use? I'm leaning toward either the Fujitsu ST4121 or Motion Computing M1400 (with View Anywhere). Any other tablets that have good viewability in bright environments? This is to run either AnywhereMap XP or AirPlan.

Best Tablet PC to Use

I read that hard drives on various PCs are not good to use above 10,000-feet because the air is too thin for the head to stay above the recording medium...without that "cushion" of air that is depended upon the keep the head riding above the medium you may get a damaged medium which makes the hard drive nothing but trash.

I've seen that in the specs for the hard drives too. However, I rarely fly above 10,000 ft so altitude really isn't a concern for me. The hard disks are now rated to accept way more G's than you or I so vibration and shock are not a concern either. I have a copy of Norton Ghost which I use to keep copies of my hard disks anyway so if I do munch a hard disk it's not really expensive to replace. If I find that I'm going to be flying above 10,000 MSL consistently then I'd look into relplacing the hard disk with a solid state ATA drive. These things are really cool -- no moving parts! No altitude restrictions! :cool:

tablet pc for cockpit use

The tablet pcs you are looking at are certainly nice ones, but they are a little bigger than I want. The tablet pc that I use when flying is a Fujitsu LT P-600 tablet pc with indoor/outdoor screen. I purchased it on ebay. It works very well in the sunlight. It is 6.25x9.5 inches and weighs 2.7 lbs I use it to display XM weather in the airplane using WxWorx on Wings software, and use Flightsoft for flight planning. We find the weather info very useful when flying cross country.

Tom Lewis

Speaking of XM Weather - is that service still like - $50 a month? I looked at it before it became available (I've been a long time XM radio subscriber), but the predicted monthly rate scared me off. At that rate, I'd have to be doing cross country trips a couple of times a month to make it worth it!

tommylewis said:
The tablet pcs you are looking at are certainly nice ones, but they are a little bigger than I want. The tablet pc that I use when flying is a Fujitsu LT P-600 tablet pc with indoor/outdoor screen. I purchased it on ebay. It works very well in the sunlight. It is 6.25x9.5 inches and weighs 2.7 lbs I use it to display XM weather in the airplane using WxWorx on Wings software, and use Flightsoft for flight planning. We find the weather info very useful when flying cross country.

Tom Lewis

XM weather

XM weather now has a lite version for $30/month, it includes radar, metars, taf's, and tfr's. The full featured XM weather is still $50/month. Once signed on for XM weather, XM radio is $6.95/month.

You are correct that you need to fly some cross country flights to justify the cost.

Tom Lewis

tommylewis said:

Tom Lewis

That's the exact tablet I've been trying to buy! But I've been outbid and even won a non-existent LT P-600! :mad:

I'm going to go with the ST4121 (if I win it) even though it's bigger than what I really want.

Have you seen the new Sony U750P? Now that's a small unit!
See this website for details:
Sony U750P

Back