What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Your favorite RV memory

Earl Findlay

I previously owned an RV-9A, and also was building an RV-14A. I had to give those both up, but recently bought myself an RV-7A which I am having a ball with.

This morning while sipping my coffee I started to think about making memories with my RV. This got me to thinking what is your favorite memory made in your RV?

My favorite memory was in my RV-9A when I took my first Young Eagle up. It was my first young eagle, and my young eagles first ride in an aircraft, ever. The look in his eyes when we lifted off, and how impressed he was with the aircraft. Something that I’ll never forget.

Less sentimental would be my first hot start without the RPMs revving too high. My first greaser. My first landing where the stick reached the up elevator stop just as the wheels touched. Taking a lady friend up in the airplane on a beautiful Sunday. At first she laughed at the airplane, calling it tiny. I suppose she was laughing nervously. She sat in it and we flew to lunch, and when we landed she was all smiles.

The RV has been good for my life and I am glad to be back in the RV family.

Flying with my son last Christmastime. :)

Attachments

• RV12 Dec 2019.jpg
    RV12 Dec 2019.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 144
I am seeking out another aircraft to buy. Maybe a Comanche or a 60's or 70's vintage Bonanza. My budget certainly won't get me the 2020 RV-14 that I was oh so close to having. It's a sad day in the Findlay house, but I am confident that I've made the right choice.

Finally Earl, so nice to see you back amongst us :) I'm sure more will rejoice :D

Looking at my Bro, put the last fastener in after a 5 year build and saying to him.......It is finished !

That was a sit back, relax and chuckle moment.

Ditto for the two RV12's we built.

Looking forward to the RV10 moment !

My first solo in my RV-9A (about 2 weeks ago). It flew like a comfortable old friend. Utterly responsive and completely predictable.

Dad

Bringing my 1 year old plane across the continent last summer to visit my parents and taking them for a flight. My Dad's health has deteriorated significantly, I won't get another of that moment. Doesn't get more special than that.

Waaaay too many new and terrific friends,destinations,and gatherings. Couldn’t begin to pick one. Thanks for all the great times and friendships that were started with building and flying a RV.

Flying from So Cal to Airventure 99 with three RV buddies.

Attachments

• 96D6F453-BB62-4A97-9514-CD9BE84C8DD8.jpeg
    96D6F453-BB62-4A97-9514-CD9BE84C8DD8.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 251
Mile high wedding in the -4

We did our wedding in the -4 at 5280 feet , formation of 4 aircraft over our home airport of 8A7..after the traditional "over the radio" I do's, and we were pronounced husband and wife, I was given the permission, " You may now roll your bride". The rest is history!

Attachments

• DSC_5152(1).jpg
    DSC_5152(1).jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_4141.jpg
    IMG_4141.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 397
We did our wedding in the -4 at 5280 feet , formation of 4 aircraft over our home airport of 8A7..after the traditional "over the radio" I do's, and we were pronounced husband and wife, I was given the permission, " You may now roll your bride". The rest is history!

Amazing ! This is really unique , im jealous

Flying to all 48 lower states with my son. The flying was fun but the 7 days with my son was priceless.

48 State Collage Picture.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, the places you will go...

Having grown up on a grass strip with a Cessna 140 and CFI Dad, pancake breakfasts and summer evenings were as good as it got. As a young(er) professional pilot almost to the 10k hour mark, I went through a phase viewing airplanes as tools. I've started to view airplanes differently lately as to their usefulness and where they can take you, physically and mentally.

Truly, Van's "Total Performance" moniker and all the memories I've collected because of RV-4 N249P's abilities.

All the friends made because of the RV, all the places that are physically easier to be because of the RV. All of the sights possible just because it's an RV. Climbing up to 18k' on a nice summer day because why not? (Couldn't do that in the 140...). All of the Gentleman's Acro I could ever want. The 30+ Young Eagle's and the accompanying smiles on the little one's faces. Being able to travel 550nm, one way, just for a weekend because it was only a few hours travel time and equal to the cost of driving. Removing the rear seat (and stick) and using the RV as a pick up truck to haul house furniture. Traveling with friends around the country knowing we have the speed to actually cover some ground today (sorry 140...). Using the short field performance to not only surprise but hang with our local "Bush Pilot Guys" when they want to go into a 1000' grass field.

All of the memories I've collected in the last 3 years, 450 hours, and many many nautical miles are what still get me excited when I pull into the airport and say "Hi" to my airplane when I open the hangar door. (yes, literally say hi)

Attachments

• IMG_1540.jpg
    IMG_1540.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_9691.jpg
    IMG_9691.jpg
    610.4 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_9736.jpg
    IMG_9736.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_0131.JPG
    IMG_0131.JPG
    560.7 KB · Views: 250
Oh my, a wife that likes flying.
I want one.

Having grown up on a grass strip with a Cessna 140 and CFI Dad, pancake breakfasts and summer evenings were as good as it got. As a young(er) professional pilot almost to the 10k hour mark, I went through a phase viewing airplanes as tools. I've started to view airplanes differently lately as to their usefulness and where they can take you, physically and mentally.

I went through that shift very rapidly when I went from being a renter to an owner.

I've been tracking where airplanes have taken me ever since.

http://www.octa.com.au/marks-landings.html

It's always fun to look back at the end of a year and see how many additions to the map have accumulated.

- mark

Bringing my 1 year old plane across the continent last summer to visit my parents and taking them for a flight. My Dad's health has deteriorated significantly, I won't get another of that moment. Doesn't get more special than that.

Sadly, this memory just became much more significant as my Dad passed this morning. So glad to have had the chance to share the flight with him, he loved it so much. Thanks for starting this thread Earl. Hope everyone can enjoy their moments, I know I will.

Back