What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 430W Nav Data - get from Garmin or Jeppesen?

Bill_H

Well Known Member
Recent plane purchase...

I have a Garmin GNS 430W with a very out of date nav database.

The 430W has just been updated to the latest system software though, 5.4.

I want to do a one-time update, nav info, procedures, etc. Standard stuff, not the terrain card.

The data card, removed from the unit, is "IFRW" with both Garmin and Jeppesen on the label. I have a Jeppesen Skybound blue programmer.

It looks like I can buy a nav update from the Garmin site but have to get a different card programmer. Or, I can buy it from Jeppeson (maybe) and use the one I have. Is this correct, I am confused!

Jeppesen "chat" support sucks. You get in the queue, it slowly counts down to you, then says "All agents are currently busy. Try again later." Happened multiple times.

Bill H

I do not know the cost of a one time update. For an annual subscription for the US, Garmin is $300, Jepp is $450. Your description of the Jepp programer device sounds correct, and you are also correct that if you go Garmin you’ll need to buy their programmer. You are correct, the new (since bought by Boeing) Jepp web site is awful. You need to talk to Jepp wrt a one time update cost; and to Garmin for the same, plus programmer device.

We have converted all our planes over to Garmin. Much easier to deal with should problems arise. Great customer service.

GNS Database Cards

Recent plane purchase...

I have a Garmin GNS 430W with a very out of date nav database.

The 430W has just been updated to the latest system software though, 5.4.

I want to do a one-time update, nav info, procedures, etc. Standard stuff, not the terrain card.

The data card, removed from the unit, is "IFRW" with both Garmin and Jeppesen on the label. I have a Jeppesen Skybound blue programmer.

It looks like I can buy a nav update from the Garmin site but have to get a different card programmer. Or, I can buy it from Jeppeson (maybe) and use the one I have. Is this correct, I am confused!

Jeppesen "chat" support sucks. You get in the queue, it slowly counts down to you, then says "All agents are currently busy. Try again later." Happened multiple times.

Bill H

Good Morning Bill,

As long as the label on the GNS data card is orange or silver you can use the Garmin card programmer to write Garmin databases to it. The Jeppesen card programmer will only write Jeppesen databases. A single update for the Navigation database will be $129.00.

Thanks,

Justin

Back