What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin OAT probe price...

amaris

Well Known Member
I'm curious if anyone knows why the Garmin probe, GTP 59 is so expensive ($500). What's so special about that probe compared to the 10 other ones on Spruce from the other avionics companies?

In another thread it was mentioned that this is the same probe which is also used in the certified field up to buiness jets. Thus it even had to tested for lightning strikes e.g... But in the Installation Manual of the G5 there are several other options listed which work as well.

I have two temp sensors installed as I run my G5 absolutely independent from my G3X system but still wanted the possibility to display OAT, density altitude and TAS on my G5. Both work absolutely fine....

Great question and a timely answer. I’m planning a G5 with a 507 and a couple of servos for a basic autopilot setup in my Glasair. I was very close to just swallowing hard and buying the Garmin OAT probe.

To keep this RV related, I’m practicing my Garmin installation skills on the Glasair before I do a complete G3x system in my RV3.

This site pays for itself over and over!

Good Morning,

The GTP59 is a fully TSO'd OAT used in many certificated installations (as noted, up to Bus-Jets). We discount this product in the 'LRU Kit' when you purchase with a GSU/GMU/GTP combo typically found in G3X Touch systems.

We understand it does run at certificated product price individually (although the quality of the product follows suit). We do give builders other options per the G5 (GAD13 included) Installation Manual. 'AD590 based probes such as EDMO 655 and Davtron C307PS'.

BR,

Brad

Last edited:
I just completed a G5 installation with the more budget friendly ($90) DAVTRON C307PS probe and can report that it works perfectly!

Thanks for all the info! I was planning G3X and didn't see anything about other options called out. But good to know there some that work!

Since I'm looking for the G3X only, I was told that you have to buy the bundle because it's the only way to get the configuration module that is required.

It looks like model 010-12253-00 and you can only buy it in the UK and not in the US.

Since I'm looking for the G3X only, I was told that you have to buy the bundle because it's the only way to get the configuration module that is required.

It looks like model 010-12253-00 and you can only buy it in the UK and not in the US.

Hello Allen,

I am a little confused on your request - do you have, or did you purchase the components individually, instead of purchasing the "LRU Kit" part number K10-00016-14? (Includes: GSU25C, GMU11, GTP59, and Configuration Module)

If only looking for a configuration module, 010-12253-00 is the correct part number - but it may not be individually listed online as they are commonly purchased in the kit. I suggest calling one of the popular advertising vendors on this site to source what you need.

While other 3rd party temperature probes are compatible with the GAD13 (which is the CAN converter that sends the temperature data to the G5), the GSU25C ADHRS requires the 3-wire GTP59. You could use a 3rd party temperature probe/GAD13 combo with the G3X Touch system - but with this case with the G3X Touch, the LRU 'Kit' will complete your needs.

If you can email us at the contact information below and explain what you have or what might be missing - that will help us get you the proper components or pointed in the right direction.

BR,

Brad

Last edited:
GTP-59 clone

In another thread I sketched out how to clone a GTP-59.
https://vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=175216&page=2

The GTX is designed for a platinum RTD type temperature probe only. An AD590 based probe won't work as was noted previously. The clone is easy to make and accurate. If you are into DIY, the thread has info to duplicate the essentials of the GTP-59 for about $6 in material.

The platinum sensors spec'd are very tiny, so a housing could also be made quite small, or maybe just a piece of small shrink tubing . This would allow it to be tucked away in some vent opening or whatever, protected and not creating a snag on the outside surface of the aircraft.

Ron

I made my own using a cheap RTD sensor (like in the thread linked above) and a custom housing I turned on my lathe. Mounted it under the horizontal stab and it works great.

Attachments

• temp_sensor.jpg
    temp_sensor.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 151
Back