What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Section 30 ( Aft Fuselage Attachment) and Solo Building During the Pandemic

avatty

Well Known Member
Because of the pandemic, my wife and I have chosen that I be a 100% solo builder in my home shop for now.

Finally I finished Section 29, and am wondering whether Section 30 (aft fuselage attachment) can be postponed. It's easier to deal with a smaller structure in my home shop than the mated sections.

It looks like: all of 31 (fuel system); almost all of 33 (rudder & brake systems, except p. 33-11); and all of 35 (upper forward fuselage), can be accomplished in advance of 30.

That last paragraph probably could be fine-tuned -- all I am asking of the forum is whether I am missing something larger. Some sections, like 11 (empennage attach) are deferrable, I'm just asking if anyone has considered a route as set forth above and thinks there would be cause for regret. Don't mean to sound too worried, but usually it's when I think I know what I'm doing that I make mistakes.

Thanks,

Tom

I did my fuel, rudder & brakes before attachment. I would recommend doing anything you can before attachment. With the front half of the fuselage being small and light you can flip it on its nose to do the rudders and brakes. On the side to do other things all without a rotisserie.

Attachments

• IMG_1400.jpg
    IMG_1400.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_1403.jpg
    IMG_1403.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 273
Wiring harness and instrument panel could both be done at that point. The engine mount could go on. The only disadvantage I can think of is that you will be adding weight to deal with when you finally get the aft fuselage attached.

Back