What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replace Garmin 496 in RV-3

Derek343

EDA26-C3-C-07-A1-4-E50-998-F-5-BE1-D7665-EC3.jpg

This is the setup on my RV-3. It has an old Garmin 496. I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for upgrading the GPS. Or making the best out of the panel. I was thinking about adding a couple Dynon servos for when I go on a cross country.

Last edited:
Hello,

A great replacement for the 496 would be the current 5" portable solution, the Aera 660. This would fit in the same panel space as the 496, however you would need to change the AirGizmos mount for one that will fit the 660, as the mounts themselves are not interchangeable.

The Aera 660 serves as a great little multifunction/navigation display. When paired with a compatible datalink receiver like the GDL 50, it will display ADSB-In traffic and weather along with all of the mapping and flight navigation/planning features. The Aera 660 will also output airport frequencies to a Garmin COM radio, as well as navigation (lateral) data for driving an autopilot.

If you'd like to check out a webinar that will include portable solutions like the Aera 660, feel free to join the Garmin Portable Solutions Webinar taking place tomorrow (9/17).

BR,

Brad

I’ve been flying with Garmin portables since I bought my original 296, and have now had the 660 for a couple of years in my -8. Gotta say, it is a lot of bang for the buck in a small package. On a -3 panel, where you have your 496, it would be a nice fit. Ours talks to the GTX 345 transponder fo ADS-B info, and does a great job.

I sometimes wonder if, with the proliferation of iPad aviation apps, portables still have a place - in tiny cockpits (I have two of them), I am quite confident that they do!

Paul

Search this forum. I currently use a 496 and have it connected to my autopilot. I also own an Aera 560 with its Gizmo mount and every time I think I want to replace the 496 with the 560 I do the search and I remind myself of why I don't do it. Like I mentioned I have both Gizmo mounts so it would take 30 minutes to replace it, but I haven't.

I think the biggest reason I can remember reading about is the 496 is easier to manipulate in flight thanks to the buttons while the 560 with the touch screen can get touchy when you're bouncing around. Do the search before you spend the money and if in the end you still want to change it let me know, I might sell you my 560 with the Gizmo mount and it'll fit perfectly in the 496 Gizmo hole.

I have installed Aera 660's and they are nice and fast and touchscreen. But they do the same thing as the 496. I have a 496 in most of my airplanes and they will stay put because they just work.

The major difference to me between the two is that the 660 is supported, has a larger viewing screen, is in color and brighter.
I changed out several and the new gizmo mount fit in the same hole and used the same screw holes. Wiring is as basic as the 496.

Nobody has mentioned the 696. I loved mine and it provides great functionality with reasonable screen size. It also uses buttons!

Nobody has mentioned the 696. I loved mine and it provides great functionality with reasonable screen size. It also uses buttons!

Well I still love my 696....but not in an RV-3! Might as well have an iPad mini strapped to your leg.

I know that bird well.. i owned it before the current owner, did the paint and panel years ago. Good airplane, flies straight and fast. It had two new wing tanks built and installed when the cn-1 and cn-2 wing mods were done. The catto prop is pitched for cruise. Th panel pic is before the fuel flow cube was calibrated. It was burning 7 gph in that pic. The airspeed indicator pic is WOT, 1000ft agl and trimmed out max speed indicated. I never got around to calibrating the static ports, but it should be pretty close. It is a fantastic flying airplane. I thought about buying it back, but i have a -6. The name on the nose is my daughters name. Rory. You will love it.

Attachments

• B24D2E87-71AE-4378-B000-0CE99EE4E052.jpg
    B24D2E87-71AE-4378-B000-0CE99EE4E052.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 143
  • A64B577B-B559-4FE7-AACA-59E47CF7E260.jpg
    A64B577B-B559-4FE7-AACA-59E47CF7E260.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 147
  • D944BA43-B7BF-4A82-A077-63B3F1CF2C85.jpg
    D944BA43-B7BF-4A82-A077-63B3F1CF2C85.jpg
    563.7 KB · Views: 133
That’s awesome! DM sent!

I know that bird well.. i owned it before the current owner, did the paint and panel years ago. Good airplane, flies straight and fast. It had two new wing tanks built and installed when the cn-1 and cn-2 wing mods were done. The catto prop is pitched for cruise. Th panel pic is before the fuel flow cube was calibrated. It was burning 7 gph in that pic. The airspeed indicator pic is WOT, 1000ft agl and trimmed out max speed indicated. I never got around to calibrating the static ports, but it should be pretty close. It is a fantastic flying airplane. I thought about buying it back, but i have a -6. The name on the nose is my daughters name. Rory. You will love it.

Back