What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Packing the Plane for Airventure

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
This is our first year!

Would love to see some pics of ya'lls planes packed for the trip :p

At this rate Phoenix is going to have to fly commercial just so I can get everything in there :D

This is our first year!

At this rate Phoenix is going to have to fly commercial just so I can get everything in there :D

Obviously, getting the weight forward helps. If you have small heavy items, like the Claw tiedowns (9Lbs), many people place those just in front of the seats.

My wife and I went to the hangar the other day just to do a practice load of the airplane. I was pleasantly surprised how much room we had after everything was loaded. And we, my nephew and I, are going to be camping. More space in the baggage area than I thought.

It's bad. Really bad.

I would send you a pic of my RV packed for HBC but the FAA would be knocking on my door and throwing a lock on the propeller. It's just awful.

There are many threads on Oshkosh camping and camping lists from here to, well, Oshkosh. As you probably know, you can ups or fedex boxes of stuff to the airventure grounds. Otherwise, weigh your stuff carefully and watch the balance. Enjoy your trip.

Now, where's that bench vice?

FedEx

You are able to ship in and out using FedEx. Good for heavy items or bulk.

+1 for weight forward

Obviously, getting the weight forward helps. If you have small heavy items, like the Claw tiedowns (9Lbs), many people place those just in front of the seats.

Also small bags can fit in the space between the seat back and flap rod. Pack heavy items in the front of the baggage compartment to keep the weight forward.
Figs

Packing

We put our clothes in the cooler, the tent and tie downs in a box with the sheets and blanket. Ground cloths can be lose. Or ship with a friend and make a donation to your local EAA chapter.

Also small bags can fit in the space between the seat back and flap rod. Pack heavy items in the front of the baggage compartment to keep the weight forward.
Figs
Yes, a surprising amount of space there. I've got my seatbacks on the middle hinge, and those nooks are great for the toolkit/tie-down bag. I'm putting some items in front of the seats (a 12-pack of bottled water that's a not-inconsiderable 16 lb., for instance). CG nudges the aft edge of range with 30 min. of fuel, but I've flown the -9A in this configuration with excellent controllability.

Yeah, I'm not really qualified as an expert packer, but I "observe" the expert every year with my mouth shut. Heavy stuff goes forward (tool bag, tie downs), and I've created some extra hold downs to be sure that is safe. Other than that, it is a volume problem for us.

P.S. All tools have had lightening holes machined in them over the years.

P.S. All tools have had lightening holes machined in them over the years.

that's my next project. I wanted to upgrade my tent for my wife, it's a solid 35 lbs, may have been a mistake. I need a crane to load it. we will be heavy for takeoff.

Last edited:
I've been buying lighter and lighter stuff over the years. My stuff and most of the airplane stuff is already packed, so here are the weights for all of the airplane stuff, camping stuff, and my personal stuff. I don't (yet) have weights for my friend's stuff, but I've budgeted 25 lbs.

Anyway:

Tool bag and tie-downs: 12 lbs.
Tent, 2 air mattresses, 2 sets of sheets & blankets: 21 lbs.
Folding Chairs (2): 4.5 lbs
Rudder Lock: 2 lbs.
My stuff (clothes, toiletries, recharging gear, kindle, ponchos, hats, etc): 17 lbs.

Total: 56.5 lbs. + Pax personal gear.

The tool bag and tie-downs will go in front of the main spar, and the CG should be good down to slightly under 1 hour of fuel. After that, I'll have the passenger move a light bag to the front floorboards for landing. Fuel? 34 gallons is loaded. That should get us to the Chicago area for a fuel and bio stop.

My beautiful wife bought me a Claw tiedown set and I picked it up and said, "Heck NO!".

I've been using these Orange Screws ever since. Very light, don't take up much room, and won't pull out.

It is a little late to order them, but if you can find some, grab 'em!

Tent weight

that's my next project. I wanted to upgrade my tent for my wife, it's a solid 35 lbs, may have been a mistake. I need a crane to load it. we will be heavy for takeoff.

Steve, I upgraded my tent a few years ago and have a tent I can stand in that will accomodate 2 adults and air mattreses easily, weighs 18 lbs (and has withstood the recent years Oshkosh storms without problems.
Figs

This is our first year!

Please don?t do that to Phoenix! Pack light. You would be surprised what you can do without. Also, the higher end stuff is usually lighter and packs more compact. Over the years, I?ve been able to reduce the volume by a third.

Pack light, are you kidding? You guys must not be bringing your wife/life partner :eek:
I ship a 50# box via FEx and fill up the airplane!

Here's where the SBS taildraggers shine, especially non FI. You can pack a LOT of heavy and/or dense stuff under your knees with some longer things spanning the floor ahead of the fuel control box. Also, there's the floor from the fuel box to the firewall (except the 14, one reason I don't like the -14). I made hard points for lashing down the load. Nothing more than slotted brackets attached by the center two screws retaining the center section covers, and to the screws retaining the center floor cover. This doesn't so much move your CG forward on the shorter moment arm as it keeps the heavies out of the baggage area.

Keep your tie down paraphernalia on top for the first thing out after you park.

There's always room for a few more hankies and loose sand even in the densest loads. Just watch the CG and consider fuel burn.

John Siebold

Last edited:
Our huge Coleman tent weighs 14 lbs but its a luxury to stand up and put my pants on! My homemade EAA tiedowns go on the firewall secured behind the passenger brakes. My 6 lb soft tool pouch goes under my calves and I never notice it there. My wife places a small soft cooler with our "Inflight Meal" and snacks behind her calves. The tent and heavy stuff goes as far front as we can get them. The 6pack of bottled beer (it better be good) I'm bringing for the party weighs 7lbs and 5ozs! I just weighed her bag and it was 20 lbs and mine was 10. We are blasting off at first light Friday morning and should arrive early afternoon. The weather looks better for Friday than I've ever seen it for our arrival! :p

Watch out for aft cg?s

Last year I wrote about my experience with trying to land with an aft cg beyond limits. Not making that mistake again!

However for those who don’t learn from others mistakes I will repeat one important lesson learned. If you’re overweight in the aft cargo area and landing with (let’s say less than 12 gallons) consider using full nose down trim for landing. This could save your bacon and prevent a porpoise condition from surprising you. Yeah, you may have a slightly heavy nose on final and round out but that’s better than violently porpoising and possibly losing control of the aircraft. The distance between nose and main gear is quite short so a porpoise in an A model is real ugly.

Remember, execute a go around if a porpoise surprises you and think full forward trim for the next attempt.

Last edited:
Last year I wrote about my experience with trying to land with an aft cg beyond limits. Not making that mistake again!

If you find yourself in that situation, grab a bag or two off of the stack in the cargo area (assuming you're in a -6, -7, or -9 and put 'em under the passenger's feet in the footwell. Moving 10 pounds 3' forward makes a .4" difference in the loaded CG of my airplane.

Back