What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Messy Pulling Oil Screen

avrojockey

Well Known Member
Patron
RV-9A
O-320-E2D

Any recommendations on avoiding the mess pulling the oil screen? I used the "bag" technique with the oil filter, but couldn't think of a technique for the screen while it was removed and inspected.

My sump was drained for a an hour before I got to the screen and there was still oil remaining slowly running out the screen housing.

I could take the screen out and temporarily install the plug but was wondering if there's another way.

Thanks! Tim

Get ALL the oil out...

I have a -7 and I installed a SafAir quick drain in the left front sump drain (underneath Cyl. #2).

I roll the right wheel/tire onto stack of plywood (total height is about 2"), then I jack up the tail until the aircraft is decidedly nose low, I also put a jack under the flywheel to keep it from tipping over.

This right-side-high-nose-low attitude moves all the oil toward the drain and I'm able to get almost all of it out.

Makes for less mess.

Cheers!

I made a gutter from aluminum flashing material. Snip, snip, bend bend and it's good to go. Maybe stuff some paper towels in strategic places to hold it in place. Sorry, no picture... It's maybe 3" wide with 1/2" sides bent up, and about a foot long. I always do this step (and the filter) the next day after it's cooled off.

I cut an empty Phillips XC quart in half and use the top part with the cap to slide underneath the oil screen plug. I just slowly loosen it and hold the container underneath the plug and screen (don't pull them all the way out.. just an inch or so).. takes about 2 minutes of squatting down and holding the container to catch the last several ounces of oil in the sump.. I'll probably end up getting one of those PIG Form-a-funnels.. the filter removal is always a challenge. I have one of those tempest oil drain things and it seemed to work ok.. but didn't drain the oil from the cooler lines so when I unscrewed the filter and oil started running out from the top. I ended up having to bag it anyways.

After draining the oil I run the main gear wheels up on a couple of 2x4's on my 9a. gives enough tilt to keep the left over oil from running out the screen. Or you could let the air out of the front tire.

I used an empty oil container, cut to fit the space under the screen plug. Captured everything that came out when I had the plug out (drained the rest of the oil out first through the quick-drain...)

For really awkward locations I have used heavy-duty aluminum foil (as found at your local grocery store) as a carefully formed funnel to fit the space available. If you anticipate a lot of residual oil, route the oil out one corner of the foil to a suitably sized container.

Back