What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smothing the sign

cdeerinck

Well Known Member
Does anyone have ideas on the best way to smooth the jaggies left by the stepper motors that cut the front of the Vans sign?

I have been using a Scotch-Brite pad, but it is going very slowly. A small flat-file was mostly useless.

Are most of you just doing with it as is?

I don't have a sign, but you might try a Dremel with a suitable tool. If one of their sanding drums will fit, it ought to work.

Dave

I used a small file on my airplane parts but on the sign, it is hanging above a window and you can't see the bumps from the ground.

I left it as-is, I kinda like seeing the manufacturing artifacts. I also put the screws on the front of the sign as I think it looks more industrial.

Does anyone have ideas on the best way to smooth the jaggies left by the stepper motors that cut the front of the Vans sign?

I have been using a Scotch-Brite pad, but it is going very slowly. A small flat-file was mostly useless.

Are most of you just doing with it as is?

I used small files. (flat, 1/2 round, and round) Yes it took more time that the rest of the sign kit did. Do a little, move on to something else, then back to the lettering.

Mine is not perfect but the big jagged pieces are no longer there.

I left it as-is, I kinda like seeing the manufacturing artifacts. I also put the screws on the front of the sign as I think it looks more industrial.

I did the same with AN470AD4 rivets on the front for the same reason.

Back