What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fiberglass Canopy mix

rvanstory

Well Known Member
I am working on the inside of the fiberglass top for RV10. I know it's fill / sand / repeat until it's smooth. But was wondering what best material to do filling and sanding with is? I plan on painting and not using a headliner.

I started with AeroPoxy Light in corners of the posts and like how easy it is to sand. But it seems almost too thick to spread into corners easily. It's more of a thick peanut butter consistency and I would prefer a thinner / creamier consistency that's easier to spread.

For those who have gone before me, what mix did you find works best? Epoxy with micro, Aeropoxy Light, something else?

I used polyester filler (Evercoat Rage) for the whole thing; Pinholes as wells as smoothing out the ugly transitions to the window joggles and the center support. Sanded with 120 with a sponge type block (typically for wet sanding clear). Shot two coats of 2K primer and sanded with 220. Then shot 2 coats of grey epoxy primer. The epoxy primer is my final coat for my interior. Came out very nice. I like the epoxy primer, as it is tough as nails and give a nice semi-gloss sheen with only two coats (additional coats continue to add gloss level). Have no desire for a full gloss on the interior.

Good luck with the effort here. The evercoat Rage Ultra has a very nice consistency and I really like using it; It is between traditional filler and glaze/icing. For some task, I would prefer a bit thicker, but a great all around filler and sands much better than most.

I would never use epoxy for a project like this. Too much waiting for it to cure.

Larry

Last edited:
Epoxy and Micro

I used epoxy (West System) with micro-balloons mixed to the consistency you want. Then, when it's all sanded and smooth, screed a layer of just epoxy resin over it all, sand smooth, fill pinholes with resin (if needed), prime, paint. I did not do the last stages (prime paint) because I will have a headliner covering everything. However, I wanted to have a smooth surface for good adhesion of the headliner and also, I someday wanted to remove the headliner and paint.

Back