What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

miami airport

VETE76

Well Known Member
the end of this month i have to pick up a friend landing at miami airport. i dont want to land there. looking for a real close strip. that i could have him take a taxi to. it could be a grass strip 1800' min.
thanks
fred

Miami

Opa Locka(OPF) about 10 to the north is the closest. Tamiami a couple miles further to the SW.

Handling fees?

The last time I checked, all of these Miami area FBO’s charge a “handling fee”. That’s even if you’re only picking someone up. Not very GA friendly.

Highly recommend you land at North Perry and have your friend take an Uber or Lyft there... about a $50.00 ride but double that if on a taxi. North Perry has the cheapest gas around and GA friendly. Good luck.

Opa locka has nice facilities and is 10 min cab ride. North Perry is way too busy with flight schools and there is an antenna farm to be mindful of south east of the fields.

Have your friend take a taxi to Lauderdale Exec, KFXE, while you browse around Banyan Pilot Shop.
It's Class D but you'll need to contact Clearance before you contact Ground for departure taxi. It's a busy airport.

Another option is Miami Executive formally Kendal Tamiami (TMB). Plus you can stop at the Versailles restaurant in Little Havana, arguably the best Cuban food in South Florida. I use to land there all the time going back and forth to Georgetown in the Exumas.

Back