What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dream Killer or Dream Plane

I can settle this.

I was 32 years old. Newly married. No kids. I wanted to build an RV-7 for me and my wife. Why the 7? Because it was the right size and more affordable.

My wife said, ?If you?re going to build an airplane, it is to have 4 seats because we are going to have kids someday.? I explained to her that if I were going to build twice the plane then she was going to double my work and double my cost (both were about accurate by the time I finished). It wasn?t the plane I had me heart set on, but at least I had her buy-in.

Over the next 9 years, 8 months, and 23 days I built an RV-10. In the process we welcomed 2 kids. We moved into 3 different houses in 2 different cities along the way.

I?m glad I listened to her because being able to share our adventures and trips with the kiddos is epic! I can do everything I wanted to do with the 7 but I can do more with the additional seats and baggage area.

It?s not uncommon for a couple to consider a 2 seat model, but once the wife discovers the -10, its space, its baggage area, its utility, its extra seats the wife locks in on the -10. A lot of -10?s have been sold to wives while the husband is up getting a demo flight in a 7 or 14.

Listening to my wife?s wisdom in the process, rather than my selfish desire, was the right thing to do.

One more story for you:

Back in 2011, after a year spent researching the various planes and kits available and deciding on a Vans kit, I knew I wanted a 7A. I simply loved it, and thought it was the perfect airplane. When I talked with my wife, who was already on board with starting an aircraft build, she reminded me that we were having kids (planned for 2).

I said, "Honey, most of the time, it'll be just me, or me and you, and if we want to take kids or other people, we'll just rent something. No sense building such a large, expensive plane with 4 seats, only to fly around with them empty. Besides, it's probably twice the cost! I think the 7A is what we should build."

Her simple reply was, "Well, are you building a plane for you, or for us?"

You can guess how I responded... :) I don't regret choosing the 10, but it has been and continues to be a sizeable elephant to consume.

Fast forward...Now I have been at this build for 8 years and counting. The expensive parts (engine, prop and avionics) are coming and they are substantial; at least for us.

This is The Hard Part of the build that not many people talk about. My kids are now 5 and 7 and I'm looking at another few years before the plane will fly, simply due to finances and not wanting to borrow money. My flying has taken a back seat to the build and my skills have gotten more than a little rusty, so I'll need training too, before she flies. My kids have enjoyed the project part of things, but haven't gotten to experience a lot of flying, since I've been choosing not to rent, in order to save up for plane parts. My certified buddies tell me to sell and rent, so I can fly with my kids now. My wife tells me not to sell, keep building and take my kids up with my buddies (not really the same, but better than nothing I guess). I continue to soldier on, working when I can and saving what I can.

It's a really tough situation, because I see the clock turning ever faster; kids growing and the time for working on the project is in short supply. Also, I've seen several people I know finish their 10's and then sell them within 1-2 years of first flight, because of various reasons: they can't find the time to take the family up, can't justify the cost of upkeep, can't lock up that much into one asset, etc..

Again, I view this part of the build, any build, to be The Hard Part. People don't talk about it, because the ones that make it through don't want to discourage others and the ones that don't make it through don't want to admit that it got the best of them. In the end, in my opinion, it comes down to a personal choice based how badly you want the dream to become reality. It's doable, no matter what your particular struggles are. However, it comes at a cost. Don't pretend it doesn't, or it will smack you in the face when you get to The Hard Part.

Nice...

Nicely stated.

I am at the point where I am 95% done. My kids are now in college and some days, it is difficult to muster any motivation to build on. I can easily see how many builds get sold shy of the finish line...but I soldier on; not for MY family but my children's future families.

I wish I would have started building ten years earlier...it is my only regret with the build.

It really is amazing how fast that clock turns...reminds me of a song:

"...Oh, when I look back now
That summer seemed to last forever
And if I had the choice
Yeah, I'd always wanna be there..."

Back