What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pictures of Exhaust Mounts

cdeerinck

Well Known Member
I have an RV-8 with a Lycoming IO-360 and I'm mounting Vetterman Dual Muffler exhaust pipes. I am trying to figure out the tailpipe mounts. They came with a 2-d diagram, and I understand the parts, but something about the geometry is 3D failing me.

It seems as though the standoffs inside the black rubber pipes are far too long, and that the tab that connects them to the tailpipe needs to be bent about 90 degrees. Further, it says to mount two of the standoffs on the rear most bolts of the sump. I converted to a Superior Cold Induction sump, so I'm a little non-stock there too, but it seems as though those bolts are nowhere near where they would need to be.

Can anyone point me at any pictures that show how this exhaust it normally installed?

Wilco

I'm planning on changing my oil tomorrow so I can take a couple pics. However I have 4 pipes. Concept the same.

Main points are:
- mount the support tubes on back of sump so they angle down to meet the pipes. Doesn't really matter which bolt you use
- they are too long for good reason - make sure you have a min of 1/4" between metal supports to allow for movement
- bolt on the support to exhaust and then start bending to mate them. Might need to remove them couple times to get it right

Here's the view for my 7; same engine and dual pipe Vetterman crossover exhaust. No mufflers though...maybe helpful?

i-VG88qxc-M.jpg

i-nVPT5hg-M.jpg

i-RTRz36Z-M.jpg

Back