- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Inkster View Post
I agree. Back in Feb 1, 2009 when Canada first activated the 406 coverage, a buddy & I were busy installing one and accidentally activated it. Wasn't too long before we got a call asking if everything was OK. We were the very first GA aircraft activation so they were keenly interested with their signal location accuracy (before GPS interconnect) as it was about 600ft radius of our location, they expected 60ft radius accuracy for the 406. When I explained we were inside a full metal hangar with doors shut, they felt much better.
The 406 antenna (thick portion at the base) is much more likely to survive even if the 121.5 (long whip portion) is mangled.
406 Mh ELTs have had confirmed (moving) locates while traveling cross country in a UPS or Fedx truck with no antenna connected at all......

Scott McDaniels
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 01-14-2020, 09:51 AM

Yes, I have a couple friends that had that happen to. New batteries required upon delivery!
Old 01-14-2020, 11:39 AM

Lots of comments here that apply to the old 121.5 ELT?s, and not the new 406 ELT?s. The g switch is now much more sensitive to g?s in multiple axis, therefore better at detecting crashes.

The old 121.5 frequencies are no longer monitored by satellite, or anyone other than by coincidence.
Hph 304CZ
RV6 built and sold
N199EC RV6A flying
Learn the facts. "Democracy dies in darkness"
Old 01-15-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDan View Post
I would definitely recommend a 406 ELT that takes a GPS input to provide lat/Lon to the satellite. It gets the rescuers directly to you.
This is a bit misleading, as the GPS has to be active when the ELT activates in order to get the GPS location included. So now you have to worry about where your GPS antenna is mounted. On the roof, pointing at the ground after a turnover? No GPS signal. On the belly, where it can't get a signal *without* a turnover? Maybe not ideal. Unless the GPS is powered and locked in before you go down, it won't necessarily help.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:13 AM

Default Not true

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDan View Post
Lots of comments here that apply to the old 121.5 ELT’s, and not the new 406 ELT’s. The g switch is now much more sensitive to g’s in multiple axis, therefore better at detecting crashes.

The old 121.5 frequencies are no longer monitored by satellite, or anyone other than by coincidence.
Although not officially monitored there are thousands of airliners and GA aircraft that monitor 121.5 every day...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
EFII System 32 - Done
297 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful
Wiring...

Dues+ Paid 2019,...Thanks DR+

Last edited by rocketman1988 : 01-15-2020 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
This is a bit misleading, as the GPS has to be active when the ELT activates in order to get the GPS location included. So now you have to worry about where your GPS antenna is mounted. On the roof, pointing at the ground after a turnover? No GPS signal. On the belly, where it can't get a signal *without* a turnover? Maybe not ideal. Unless the GPS is powered and locked in before you go down, it won't necessarily help.
If the ELT gets activated, it will transmit the last GPS position that it was issued.
If I understand correctly, the +12V connection that some ELT's have is part of that system (buffering the GPS position), and that once activation occurs the last issued position becomes what is encoded on the ELT transmission (the 12V is no longer needed).
So even if the GPS is no longer functioning there will still be an encoded position that would provide a much higher level of position detail than without.

Scott McDaniels
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 01-15-2020, 09:23 AM

Default MEOSAR compatible?

At OSH last year I went to a talk from a NASA guy that leads the Search and Rescue stuff. He talked basically the whole time about their new satellite constellation MEOSAR which is in medium earth orbit.

At that time I recall he said there was 1 PLB manufacturer that was producing a compatible transmitter. Have the ELT companies caught up yet?

NASA MEOSAR info
RV-10 #1750
N67SC reserved
http://n67sc.blogspot.com/
2019 Dues Paid
Old 01-15-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
If the ELT gets activated, it will transmit the last GPS position that it was issued.
If I understand correctly, the +12V connection that some ELT's have is part of that system (buffering the GPS position), and that once activation occurs the last issued position becomes what is encoded on the ELT transmission (the 12V is no longer needed).
So even if the GPS is no longer functioning there will still be an encoded position that would provide a much higher level of position detail than without.
So the GPS is powered full-time during flight, even when not needed? Interesting. That's news to me.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
So the GPS is powered full-time during flight, even when not needed? Interesting. That's news to me.
Some ELT?s use internal GPS and others use data from your GPS navigator. The answer to your question is yes, in both cases.
Hph 304CZ
RV6 built and sold
N199EC RV6A flying
Learn the facts. "Democracy dies in darkness"
Old 01-15-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitink72 View Post
At OSH last year I went to a talk from a NASA guy that leads the Search and Rescue stuff. He talked basically the whole time about their new satellite constellation MEOSAR which is in medium earth orbit.

At that time I recall he said there was 1 PLB manufacturer that was producing a compatible transmitter. Have the ELT companies caught up yet?

NASA MEOSAR info
The MEOSARs monitor 406, so not sure what he was talking about, unless it was 2nd gen ELTs (ED-62B / DO-204B). Those would be rare, because (TTBOMK) there are no labs currently certified to test to C/S T.018. 2nd gen ELTs have more sophisticated g-sensor requirements and transmission parameters. (the NASA crash tests I mentioned earlier supported the ED-62B working group activities related to g-sensor specifications and installation guidance.)

The MEOSARS provide a much faster ELT activation detection due to the number of satellites. That is a very good thing, especially if the plane is burning.
N164WM
N184WM reserved (RV-8)....finishing kit in progress. Titan IOX-370