VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-11-2019, 06:52 AM

I guess it's all about expectation management. This was my first Sun-n-Fun since about 2001-2002. We volunteered at the event with EAA Chapter 175 so this was new for us to be working vs just attending. We also didn't fly in or camp as we only live about 35 mins away now. All in all it was quite enjoyable, but in a different fashion from our normal OSH routine-- it was was more laid back. We didn't seem rushed but we didn't party as much either.

I liked that the vendor hangars were smaller than OSH and had way fewer non-aviation vendors trying to sell me ****. However, all the vendors I wanted to see were there (like Garmin so I could update my transponder firmware). My wife bought me a new handheld Yaesu radio for my birthday to replace my ancient but still working Bendix-King KX99. So all was good on the shopping front.

I got to see my college roommate fly one of the A-1 Skyraiders twice during the airshow Vietnam reenactment of the rescue of a downed F-105 pilot.

I got to give close examination to the Vashon Ranger. Really nice LSA. If anyone is looking for what a high-wing RV-12 would be, this is as close as you can get without having "RV" stamped on it.

Generally I was very pleased with the experience and plan to be back next year.
WAR EAGLE!

Last edited by Auburntsts : 04-11-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:47 AM

Default Sun 'n Fun EAA involvement

My first Sun 'n Fun was 1981, and what a wonderful event it was! Now I'm wondering when the EAA's direct involvement ended?

1975 Cardinal RG N1593H since Mar 1993
1980 RV-3 N3VR Bought flying Sept 2017

Dues current 2020
Old 04-11-2019, 07:50 AM

I flew down from WI for the show. It was my second time at Sun n Fun, first time camping under the wing at HBC. The HBC tent was wonderful and I thank all the folks enough who cooked meals daily and provided the space to socialize.

The layout of the camping area was a bit odd, portapottys were one way while showers were the other direction. That said, everything was as close or closer than camping at Osh. HBC had a generator and power running in the white tent 24 hours to charge devices and batteries.

As to location, I like being able to access my camp site during the air show and it feels safer slightly out of the way. It?s a 20 minute walk from HBC to the main camping area on the far west side.

The map could be improved.

All in all it was a fun experience.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotyoung View Post
I have been to Sun 'N Fun about 15 times. Usually 1 or 2 days and I always stayed in motels.

This year I flew in on Tuesday, and yes I did get to enjoy Lake Parker because of a Bonanza with gear problems, and parked my RV-12 in the Homebuilt Camping. I tied down the aircraft, pitched my tent, put my stuff in the tent, and then went off to buy my wristband, etc. and headed to the main part of the show. It was about 5:30 p.m. so I decided to have dinner and a beer and the went back to the Homebuilt Camping area. I was in for a surprise. Since I had never camped, I thought you parked your airplane, pitched your tent, and you were on your own.

When I arrived back at Homebuilt Camping, I saw the big tent and all the people in it. I went over and went in and learned that they have food. I had already eaten but I sat down, introduced myself to some people, and began a wonderful evening of talking about airplanes, etc. About 11:00 p.m. I finally went to my tent and to sleep.

The rest of the week I had breakfast and dinner at the Homebuilt Camping. Almost every night I stayed up until 11:00 p.m. visiting, etc.

On Sunday morning I took my tent down, got the airplane ready, and flew home.

This year was my best experience at Sun 'N Fun. The main reason was because of the great experience at Homebuilt Camping. Heidi, the chairman, and all of her volunteers did a wonderful job. Everyone who was there owes them a huge thank you. The other people who were camping there were great, fun to talk to, and I learned many things.

The other reason it was the best experience is because I had 4 full days at the show. I have always been rushed before but this time I took 1 day just for forums. I did and saw everything I wanted to this year which is also a first for me. Always before I left saying I wish I would have had time to do ??????.

Homebuilt Camping was a good distance from the main show area. Most of the time I rode a tram in the morning, and stayed until dinner time, and then rode a tram back. I was fortunate I didn't have to wait long.

But this was my best Sun 'N Fun and I will definitely be back next year and will be camping again.
John

Next year show up at the Silver Wings cabin for a $5 lunch.

John Morgan
RV6A -SMILIN 1
Old 04-11-2019, 08:44 AM

This year was my first time flying in, 4th time overall. After a long flight from WI I was really happy to discover the HBC tent had everything we needed, they even offered dinner! Honestly this was better food/drink than I've ever had at OSH and it made life for a camper soooo much easier. I'd love it if we were able to reproduce this part of it at OSH. I'll add that Heidi (Chairperson) was very attentive and wanted to make sure everyone had enough to eat and a good time. When I win the lottery, I want her to manage all my camping.

My one complaint is the bathroom/shower situation. The showers got nasty very quickly, I was often standing in a pond of clogged shower water. On the bathrooms, it would be nice if porta-potties were not the only option. They are fine but... well...

I didn't mind the walk, I could use the exercise and there were airplanes to look at and often rides available.

Overall a great experience, I'll do it again.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotyoung View Post
This year was my best experience at Sun 'N Fun. The main reason was because of the great experience at Homebuilt Camping. ?.
But this was my best Sun 'N Fun and I will definitely be back next year and will be camping again.
I echo Johns opinion on HBC. Hedi did an outstanding job. I have been to SNF over a dozen times usually volunteering parking planes at HB and this was my first time at HBC. It was very friendly and enjoyable. Smaller than Oskhosh HBC but I think there is a lesson for Oshkosh.... have food and drink available to campers. For SNF have closer and more showers and some outdoor sinks for shaving and brushing teeth.

I understand the concept behind moving HB parking for access during the fly-overs and air shows but it was so far removed from show center that there was far fewer planes and even fewer people that came down to see them. SNF must find a better location if they want to support homebuilders.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmillhouse View Post

I understand the concept behind moving HB parking for access during the fly-overs and air shows but it was so far removed from show center that there was far fewer planes and even fewer people that came down to see them. SNF must find a better location if they want to support homebuilders.
I wonder if they would consider using the taxiway as the centerline for flyovers and the air show?

That way, they could allow access the the old HB area during the show.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 04-11-2019, 11:29 AM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmillhouse View Post

After reading about the rebranding of S-N-F and the emphasis on youth education I have to wonder if homebuilts are much of a priority anymore....maybe this is an effort to get them out of show center to reduce their exposure. Time will tell.

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 04-11-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
I wonder if they would consider using the taxiway as the centerline for flyovers and the air show?

That way, they could allow access the the old HB area during the show.
Kyle, we explored that option when the FAA began to become critical of our Showcase pattern and it's overflight of the old HB parking area. Unfortunately, we can't move further north. Using Papa taxiway would bring those Showcase aircraft too close to the 27R/09L runway operations, and it's simply unsafe to put aircraft in that close proximity to each other.

In addition, the Showcase pattern is a highly sought after commodity by vendors who are touting their designs. Moving the pattern away from the crowd, or higher, diminishes the return on their efforts. Thus we had to leave the Showcase overflight pattern over taxiway D, and infringe upon the old HB parking area.