What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help with Pilots n Paws Mission

Dan Langhout

Well Known Member
Just thought I would put this out here to see if there was any interest. I have thrown my hat in the ring to help transport a 48 lb, 2 year old, female hound mix that needs to get to the Richmond, VA area. I have signed up to pick her up near Alexandria, LA and transport her to the Huntsville, AL area (KMDQ, KFYM, etc). She still needs a ride or two from there to the Richmond area. No takers so far after a week on the PnP ride board. Here is a link to the PnP posting https://www.pilotsnpaws.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=65508 They have apparently been trying to move this dog for several months.
Thanks!

If no one bites, I would be willing to pick up and drive her the rest of the way. I cannot wait until my RV is done so that I can become a part of these awesome missions.

I've wanted to do these missions but I know my RV is way too loud (straight pipes) for any animal and I doubt most would immediately take to the MutMuffs. How are others dealing with this issue?

I've wanted to do these missions but I know my RV is way too loud (straight pipes) for any animal and I doubt most would immediately take to the MutMuffs. How are others dealing with this issue?

I haven't moved any dogs but I've moved a couple cats. They mostly ignore me and go to sleep. :)

It’s worth a try

I’ve flown a lot of PnP missions in 172s and PA28s and haven’t had an upset dog yet. Like Bill’s cats, most of them go to sleep in self-defense. Some say they sense something good is happening. I think it’s because the pooches that get rescued tend to be the chillest, best behaved in the shelter.

I bring something old, soft and washable that they can curl up on - and a tether long enough to move and short enough to keep them from giving flight lessons. But only do it if you don’t mind a little unconditional and occasionally slobbery love on arrival (from the dogs - and sometimes from the receiving party).

I prefer to fly PnP with a passenger who can keep an eye on the cargo. Kinda like watching my blind side, like a good left tackle.

RV-6-7 animal transport??

I am innterested in volunteering to this organization. My aircraft isn't very spacious. Do people who have a 6 or 7 use crates, harnesses or something else? What is the size limit of the animal you normally carry?
Thank you

I’ve participated in PetsnPaws. Put in the SuperTrax mod to make it easier to get dogs in the baggage area. I haven’t done anything with MuttMuffs during transports and the dogs have all done well.
Line your baggage floor to protect against urine. You wouldn’t want to get carpet or aluminum wet.
It’s a great cause.

Last edited:
So - I use crates for puppies and just restrain the adult dogs with a 2 foot long leash that loops around the flap shaft in the baggage compartment. The short leash is just long enough to let them sit up and move around back there a bit - but keeps them back where they belong. I have transported many dogs as large as 60 lbs (one at a time) and this method works well. I remove the carpet from the baggage area and replace it with several layers of old bath towels followed by an old dog bed. So far, I have never had an adult dog have any kind of "accident". Getting them in and out of the baggage area is not as convenient as I would like - but it works. I lift them into the cockpit and then get them to walk under the back seat brace. When getting them out, it usually helps to have a helper standing on the ground to hand to dog to after you lift them out of the cockpit. There is a reason that 60 lbs is my max for a dog flight :).

I had to carefully select crates that would fit in the baggage compartment for puppies (Petmate crates rated for up to 20 lb dogs). I have worked out a method so that I can actually get 4 of these in the plane at once if I remove the passenger seat - 3 if I don't. I have actually hauled as many as 13 puppies at one time using this setup.

Great job!

Great job, Dan. Thanks for sharing your setup.

If you ever need a co-pilot let me know. I’ve flown about 12 Pilots N Paws missions in my 172. The speed and range of an RV make it an excellent airplane for many of the requested flights. Like you, I have never had an “accident” by one of my passengers.

Wondering how well this would work in a RV-8 if I removed the rear stick and seat and used a dog crate strapped in back there?

Back