What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

new nose gear

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
yesterday i pulled my old gear off and started installation of the new gear. when the gear is attached to the fuselage by the 3/16 bolts to the belly the top attach point that is to be drilled is not flat against the firewall. when the top of the plate is against the firewall the bottom edge of the plate is 1/16 to 3/32'' off the firewall. i don't remember the old gear was like this. anyone else run into this?
this is not a rotex engine it is a honda [viking] . when the original mounting was done these attach mounts fit best with a standard washer between the nosegear nd the engine mount. it would be a simple matter to move the washer to the aft side of the nosegear, making the nosegear attach point parallel to the firewall. any thoughts?
airplane is still in the build phase.

Did you lower airplane back on to the ground? This will position upper flange firmly against firewall.

the flange is as tight as it will go against the firewall and the top edge is tight and there is a gap at the bottom edge.

looks like i am alone on this one. i plan to put a washer [shim] of enough thickness between the firewall and the gear so that the upper edge of the gear is not quite touching the firewall when bolt is torqued down.does anyone know if will 6061 or 2024 alum. will distort by the pressure of a 3/8 bolt torqued? it would be a lot easier to work with than steel.

Back