What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First real cross country to North Carolina

leok

Well Known Member
The wife and I took the newly minted RV10 from our home field of Pontiac, MI (KPTK) to visit our soon to be retirement property near Forest City, North Carolina for the weekend. We are at Rutherford CO airport (KFQD). It turned a 12 hr drive into a pleasant 2 hr 45 min flight.

20200507-124129.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

For the first time I was able to get lean of peak and use the LOP feature on the CPI2 ignition. The feature advances the ignition 3 degrees and is said to bring out a little extra power in LOP cruise. Well, just as advertised I picked up 4 knots with the flip of a switch. Cool!

Nice to see something besides the flat land of Michigan

20200507-125241.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

It is a little strange to be on the road and only eat take out or what we put together in our hotel room. Otherwise NP.
We are here thru Monday if anybody in the area is interested in saying hi.

Restaurants open in SC

Sit-down restaurants in SC are opening tomorrow. I recommend the Runway Cafe on the ramp at GMU (see other thread), or Jason's Deli - a short courtesy car drive from KSPA. Georgia is open, too. Our governor is keeping the state locked down. I fear for the survival of the 57A Cafe at Rutherfordton.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some local knowledge: When the winds are strong out of the North - like after a front passed through - the turbulence over those mountains just N of Rutherfordton can be brutal. Y'all be careful now...

Welcome to NC!

We are based at Twin lakes (8A7) just south of Winston-Salem( KINT). You will enjoy the area for flying, as there are a ton of small airports,beach close by, and of course the mountains . Great BBQ at Pik-N-Pig (BQ1) near Fayetteville where you can dine by your plane. Hope to see you around the skies!

Welcome to NC

My retirement home is about 80 NM east of KFQD or about 38 minutes at RV 150 KTAS cruise speeds. Welcome to the state. Others have already pointed out some of the good stuff. The little restaurant on the field at KFQD is an experience. Have flown in there for lunch twice with friends.

If you please:

Share your thoughts on the shoulder harness pads, the adjustment direction of the belt tighteners, and why Crow put red tabs on yours but not on Mrs. LeoK's?

Thanks to all

Thanks for the posts (even though I put this thread in the wrong place). Moderators feel free to move it.

Bill, I really thought the belts would be uncomfortable once I saw them installed in the plane. The complete opposite turned out to be true. The pads make the belts very comfortable. So much so that I forget I am even wearing them unless I try to lean over to change the screen on the right side. The only issue for me is the color. I ordered blue to match the blue leather trim of the interior however, the leather is a darker steel blue and the belts bright blue ? bad match. SO you will see them up for sale in the near future. I plan on replacing with the grey version of the same belt.

As for the red tabs on my belt and none on the right belt. No idea! Funny thing is that I didn't even notice until after the belts were installed. I will need to check with Crow on that one.

It was a great trip with one exception.. I spun the tire/tube in the landing back home and had a flat. It messed up the left wheel pant pretty well. I have some repair to do. I am guessing the tire pressure was a little low. That and the 32 degree weather let the tire spin on landing pulling the stem off the tube. Bummer.

Some local knowledge: When the winds are strong out of the North - like after a front passed through - the turbulence over those mountains just N of Rutherfordton can be brutal. Y'all be careful now...
Some more local knowledge: Unless you are based at AVL, avoid it like the plague. If you land at AVL, Signature is the only place to park and their fees are stupid! Snopercod is based there, so they take their pound of flesh from him every month in hangar fees.

Some more local knowledge: Unless you are based at AVL, avoid it like the plague. If you land at AVL, Signature is the only place to park and their fees are stupid! Snopercod is based there, so they take their pound of flesh from him every month in hangar fees.

And don't forget, the gas is really cheap too. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I was hoping to fly my recently completed RV-10 to AVL to stay with my cousin. How much $ are we talking to land/park? What else should I know about AVL?

I was hoping to fly my recently completed RV-10 to AVL to stay with my cousin. How much $ are we talking to land/park? What else should I know about AVL?
I agree that the fee structure Signature Flight Support is legalized extortion and their AVL location seems to be the poster child, but... I was there 3 years ago for a 2 night stay and it really wasn’t that stupid expensive, mainly due to the fact that they have self serve gas. If you do the SS pumps ($4.82/gal, located N edge of ramp) they waive the “handling” fee. I paid the city $5 infrastructure fee plus $12/night for tie down parking. So excluding the gas I was out 29 bucks, the cheapest I’ve ever gotten away with at a Signature FBO.

Back