What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Planning Question

Jeffcc17

Hello,

I started building my RV10 tail about 2weeks ago. I have finished the VS and the rudder and started the horizontal stabilizer. How far am I into the tail kit? I was thinking QB wings and slow build fuselage. I need a timeframe for ordering the next kit. I am also wondering if the wing kit is final drilled if that will save a significant amount of time. I need to call Vans and see which kits are up to final drill status.

Thanks Jeff

Jeff,
Here are my totals, all slow build. I was 57 hours in after VS and Rudder. If you're getting close to 30 hours/wk then the time to order a quickbuild wing was 6 months ago (Van's is showing 8 months currently). Slow build wings are really enjoyable, even the tanks. The hardest part in my opinion is the bottom outboard skin and you'll be doing that either way you go.

Attachments

• Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 611
Last edited:
Time for tailcone

I purchased my kit with the horizontal, rudder and vertical stab 100% complete. Elevators required trailing edge and wrap up partly complete trim tabs. 0% on tailcone.

I'm at 280 hours now (looks like im quite slow compare to the prior poster) but I'm etching, alodining and priming everything. I've also installed yaw damper servo mount, ADAHARS bracket and ELT bracket. I am within 2 hours of completing the last bit by riveting the fiberglass then it's all off to storage for now. My kit is older and my fiverglass were the white ones (grey are standard now) which required quite a lot of work to get them perfect and I started shaping them a little early so probably wasted plenty of time sanding and refilling extra times.

Order now

The tail cone is pretty quick as far as the aluminum work. I would put in the order for the fuselage now. I always tried to have at least two or three components in process at any given time. When one got stuck, I would move on to something else while I got it unstuck. If you are unsure of time to build, go to kitlog.com and search RV10s (or look in their signature line for links). There are lots of people who have posted their entire build with time separated by component. Easy to compare the 1700 hr builders to the 5000 hr builders.

There is plenty to do while you wait. All of the fiberglass needs to be done. I have a friend them left them all till last and is now having a hard time getting finished. On the other hand, I did them as I want along while waiting for money, parts to show up, engine etc.. or just plane forced myself to work on them as I went along. In the end, everyone was amazed at how quickly everything came together once I moved to the airport.

You can also start working out your electronics, researching brands, planning you primary wiring scheme. Lots and lots of decisions will need to be made. I have probably more un-logged time thinking, researching and planning my build than logged shop time. Don't accept all of the opinions on what needs to be upgraded or changed from the kit unless you have lots of money. Weigh the options and list them out on a spread sheet, read other's blogs on what options they chose and why. Sort out what you want as far as functions, then start matching components, comparing vendors. For example, I found there was very little price difference in the avionics vendors for the functions I wanted. Others have found big differences.

Try to get an idea of the components you want and start gathering info, drawings, power requirements, installation manuals. All of this is online. Make a binder, you will refer to this often during the build. An example from my build, I went with CPI2 electronic ignition late in my build, which required multiple switches, electronic boxes and a back up battery be installed. I had to find ways of fitting extra components late in the game. Sit in a comfortable chair, close your eyes and imagine in detail flying from start up to shut down. Where do you want your switches, what switches do you want. Walk through it in your mind until it becomes familiar. Get the plans CD from VANs and look ahead.

The fun is just beginning! :D

Planning question 2

Thank you for the replies to my request. It would seem that I need to order a kit immediately. I did a class at Synergy and they said I could build the wings or the body next.... ie order didn’t matter. Is that true?

If I did do the sb wings do you think the new final drill CNC work would save a significant amount of time?

My original thought process had me building a slow build body wile ordering a QB wing kit. Is that possible?

Thank you,

Jeff

2020 dues paid

I'd do both if you can afford it; I got a heck of a deal. My plan was qb wings slow build fuse. After looking at both in the qb stage this is still the plan I'd do if I hadn't gotten the deal. The wings appear to have way more of the same tasks over and over again, the fuse appears that it would be more enjoyable and also quicker to do.

Also get fuse and finish kit, for reasons started above (doors). I am awaiting my finish kit. I have the tail cone joined to the fuse. I have a basic fit on the canopy. Once the finish kit is here my plan is to completely finish the canopy and doors; then remove them until final assembly. Get all the fiberglass mess done and not have to worry about making a mess inside after filling up the fuselage with parts.

Last edited:
I did the fuselage before the wings. There is much more systems work in the fuselage. Having the fuselage completed allowed me to start all of the system and interior work (that is the 80% to go after it looks like n airplane).

The wings are a 10K trophy that will hang in the shop for the rest of the build if you do them before the fuselage.

As far as final hole drill. It will save perhaps a few hours. Match drilling was quick. I suppose you could add the assembly/disassembly time for the match drilling to that for a few more hours. I don't think that would amount to much more than 20-30 hrs for the wings. You still need to debur.
My experience, the wings took 354 hrs to build. The QB will save 1/2 to 2/3 of that as a guess. In addition, you would loose the great experience of working with Proseal! :cool:

Last edited:
Also get fuse and finish kit, for reasons started above (doors).

I don't understand this. I had no issues completing the cabin top installation without access to the doors. Of course I couldn't consider the cabin top complete and ready for paint without the doors and windows installed, but I certainly was able to complete the installation and consider it ready for finishing work.

There was "plenty" of work to do prior to doors, getting it sanded to fit as well as prepping and painting the interior of the top prior to final installation. You really can't do a lot with doors until the top is fully attached with all fasteners, except the pull rivets, anyways.

Larry

Last edited:
IMHO the finish kit is not needed until the fuselage including the canopy top is well under way. At that stage there is still a ton that can be done as the finish kit is on it's way.

I would not final install the doors till after the top is permanently fastened due to the risk if distortion of the top during fastening. Even then adding the lift struts will twist the door slightly making it 'close' further rearward than without the strut. I had a near perfect alignment on my doors. Once the lift struts were installed, I have to pull the door slightly forward to close.

Keep an eye on the VANs delivery lead times and order based on your pace of work. I checked my build log and the fuselage took me 355 hrs. (including finish kit components) Almost exactly the same time as the slow build wings. At my average build of 10 hrs a week that was around 8 months. I think I ordered the finish kit at about 4 months into the fuselage with a 3 month lead time) What went inside took an additional 1000 or more hours to keep me busy while I waited. By the time I got to the wings I was putting in 15 to 20 hours a week as I could start to see the end of the tunnel!

The gentlemen helping me advised me to do the doors while the canopy is on. He did his that way and has sense helped sever others do it this way. The reasoning is the fiberglass work is done, no more mess in the fuse then onto the systems.
He did mention that all holes must be clecoed and does some bracing, perhaps to prevent warping.

The gentlemen helping me advised me to do the doors while the canopy is on. He did his that way and has sense helped sever others do it this way. The reasoning is the fiberglass work is done, no more mess in the fuse then onto the systems.
He did mention that all holes must be clecoed and does some bracing, perhaps to prevent warping.

I, along with others, have done that too. I didn't drill the screw holes to final size around the perimeter of the top and left them #30 for a very long time.
Used clecos to hold it in place. Seemed to have worked out fine, but people do have differing opinions on doing the doors when the top isn't permanently installed.

I also used clecos around the perimeter of the door into the A pillars and across the top (by the hinges) while bonding the door rather than the weight and clamp method described in the plans. That made for a door that cured to the exact form of the cabin top.

Back