What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A Forced Landing on Beach, 9/11/2020

Nose leg looks a lot straighter than nose overs I remember seeing, wonder if it had a nose job installed?

again... food for thought about one's aircraft going turtle back.
Wonder how they got out, sliding thru that fractured canopy hole?

^^^Especially with the canopy buried in the sand. I recently watched an AV Web safety video debating on ditching on the beach or the water close to shore.

Interesting comment about the status of the aircraft's registration in the first source's TV video report, and reflected somewhat differently in the FAA's Aircraft Database.

Knew how to look up a registration, plus no mention of "didn't file a light plan" or "heard the engine sputtering". Folks, I think the news department may have actually included a pilot! ;)

^^^Especially with the canopy buried in the sand. I recently watched an AV Web safety video debating on ditching on the beach or the water close to shore.

Worthwhile to think about in advance. At low tide a flat beach might have a strip of firm sand above the waterline. If no people present, we would all take a shot at it.

I can't imagine any RV, tri or tailwheel, remaining upright following touchdown in the typical soft, deep sand nearer the dune line. Likewise, I think both are unlikely to remain upright after touching down in the surf. The difference seems like risk of drowning while trapped upside down, vs some slightly higher risk of neck compression. Gotta take the water if people present, but given an empty beach at high tide I think I'd do like the subject pilot here...take the soft sand.

Note how on the overturned aircraft a substantial amount of fuel has leaked/siphoned from the vent down the firewall/cowl into the engine compartment, creating what I consider a fire hazard. This was the main reason I went with the Rocket style coiled fuel vents in the wing root.

Last edited:
I just re watched that video of Paul's, some good basic advice there. I often do bay flights that are coastal in my RV and improbably miss out on a lot of the scenery as I'm constantly looking for emerg Ldg spots!

I keep a life hammer within arm’s reach at all times. It seems like most crash landings end up inverted. Even if you don’t flip, there’s no guarantee that your canopy is going to slide open correctly after an off-airport landing, or that your passenger’s arms will be strong enough to open it if you’re incapacitated.

I keep a life hammer within arm’s reach at all times.

Hmm, me too. But I haven't practiced enough in the last few years to be able to know exactly where it is to be able to grab it the first attempt with my eyes closed. Good reminder. I'll do better. Maybe I'll add something to my personal condition inspection notes to spend 10min./month sitting the hangar with my eyes closed for a muscle memory refresher.

Back