What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend (8/1 - 8/2/20)

SPX

Well Known Member
Sponsor
What did you do with your RV this weekend? Flying, building, looking at it in the hangar, whatever.. let's hear it!

As for me, I flew twice, Fallbrook (CA) to Santa Paula (CA) and back to Fallbrook. L18 - KSZP - L18

We grabbed lunch in Santa Paula today (airport restaurant is open, with patio seating available), and enjoyed watching the banner towing airplanes, and the tailwheel aircraft practicing their pattern work. As we departed, a red RV was entering the pattern for landing.

Really nice day to fly today, despite a bit of smoke in the air from the fire to the east. Perfectly smooth air, and while it was a bit hot on the ground, it was a comfortable 60° F at 10,500' / 11,500' flying to and from.

Hope that everyone was able to do something enjoyable with their RV this weekend!

I flew my 9 on my first Petsnpaws mission. Flew 1A3 to D73 where I picked up a lab mix puppy. Then fly him to KHKY And then back to 1A3 the next day.
10,000 MSL over the NC mountains on the return flight.
Three RNAV GPS approaches. Great flying.

Finally a bit cooler and clear here in Misssissippi. I flew from my base at KJVW to Tallulah/Vicksburg, then up the Mississippi River, watching the barges on the river.

Hudson River

I took a friend from N57 to the Verrazano Narrows Bridge and then north the length of the Hudson River Exclusion at 1,200’; turned around near the Tappan Zee and flew the route southbound. Then stayed at 1,200’ and flew out over Sandy Hook and south along the entire New Jersey shoreline, rounded Cape May and landed for food. After eating, made a quick trip up to 6,500’ for some cool air on the way back to N57. Perfect morning!

Getting ready for condition inspection and finding issues with airplane...

So far...
  1. Found AN3 bolt for flap control rod that should be AN4...interestingly the flaps aren't suppose to be sloppy like a Cessna
  2. Right aileron stop not trimmed to 1/4" per plans
  3. Up to about 20 nut plates that need replacing (1/2 done so far)
  4. Checking aileron rigging and found one #10 reference hole in outboard rib drilled out to 1/2" making that job a little harder
  5. Fixed left tank vent B-nut had cracked flare...because no sleeve was installed!!! A big shout-out to Bruce at NewView in KOSH for having spare at no charge!
  6. Replacing old SCAT tubing
  7. FWF oil and fuel lines 16 years old...replacing with new teflon lined, picking up from Aircraft Specialty on Tues.

All that said I'm logging a lot of hours toward my A&P, and it's work my A&P won't need to do.

IMG_1238.jpg

Last edited:
With a pending hurricane looming in Florida, (a big nothing as usual), I took the opportunity of no-fly to replace my yellowing flap tape. I installed the new stuff under the wing this time. I can’t say enough good things about this Goo Gone stuff. The adhesive was hard as a rock stuck to the paint. I sprayed this stuff on, waited 30 minutes, and it scraped off with my fingernails. Totally non toxic and easy on the hands. Plane is so much cleaner looking.

Attachments

• 1DAB72E9-06BA-4AA8-942C-FBE316BF5C7D.jpg
    1DAB72E9-06BA-4AA8-942C-FBE316BF5C7D.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 332
  • FA9358B7-F55A-4D4E-98E5-DE5FAB35D9B0.jpg
    FA9358B7-F55A-4D4E-98E5-DE5FAB35D9B0.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 279
  • 4ECED63B-9208-422F-871B-BFC3893383D5.jpg
    4ECED63B-9208-422F-871B-BFC3893383D5.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 322
  • E00118EF-97EF-434D-B655-AD45D05E5A76.jpg
    E00118EF-97EF-434D-B655-AD45D05E5A76.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 304
New Mexico Jaunt

Sabrina and I flew down to Raton (KRTN) and Springer (S42). The Raton pass is low, and very pretty. Here is a view of the butte just outside of Trinidad on the way over the pass.
attachment.php

It was a pretty day for a flight.

Blue skies.
Geoff

P.S. Hey can someone tell me how to make it so my photo is larger than the thumbnail when using the VAF upload? It was in temp, but I think it dropped off after the two weeks. [ed. Geoff, the VAF photo hosting auto-creates a clickable thumbnail and resizes the original to 2,000 pixels wide if it was bigger. If you would like to host the image somewhere else you can absolutely embed it at a larger size (SmugMug, etc). v/r,dr]

Attachments

• IMG_20200802_103553 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20200802_103553 (Large).jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 567
Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely nothing. Plane is in the shop getting painted. I did however, get my Van’s light box complete. I love it.

Attachments

• C32A3FB1-BD79-4EE4-B3CA-13759EFC8DB4.jpg
    C32A3FB1-BD79-4EE4-B3CA-13759EFC8DB4.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 344
Absolutely nothing. Plane is in the shop getting painted. I did however, get my Van’s light box complete. I love it.

I like that! Do you have a CNC machine for cutting the logo?

RV Update: Old Dominion is picking up the emp kit in Oregon!!

Flight Update: My Dad (CFI) put me through 2 hours of hood time yesterday in the 172. Shot two RNAV, one ILS, and a VOR approach... Whew... Can't wait to do it in a 14!!

I flew my grandson back down south from near Seattle to SoCal. Just a bit over a thousand miles, one fuel stop. Had picked him up the previous week, he got to fly a bit both directions, we both had fun. Kept it to two 3 hour legs both up and back. IMC departure and arrival in Washington of course. Smoke at various altitudes in California. Very hot and dry in California. Saw and heard reduced airliner traffic but controllers were quite busy. We love our Vans RV7.

Back