What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Request: photos of avionics shelf(s) behind the panel

N546RV

Well Known Member
Hey folks...I'm having lots of fun making cardboard models of avionics units and putting them around the fuselage to figure out packaging. I'm wondering how people chose to mount things behind the panel.

The two braces between the gear towers seem like logical starting points for shelves, but since one is higher than the other, this is a little more fun than just bridging them. I've sort of considered bridging them anyway, and ending up with a sloped shelf that might actually be well-positioned for servicing things with the center panel insert removed (or just an EFIS, for that matter).

Another option I considered was turning the deep well portion of the baggage area into a forward avionics bay, but 1) not sure I want to lose that and 2) this seems like it'd need significant attention to cooling airflow. So probably not worth the effort at all.

Anyway - fire away with those photos, or descriptions if that's all you've got. Thanks!

Here you go.

Dual SkyView HDX install, GTN-650 PS ENG audio panel, Dynon radio for comm #2, Dynon EMS/ARINC/XPDR.

Dynon radio (comm #2), EMS, ARINC and XPDR mounted on the aft side of the forward baggage compartment bulkhead, along with the B&C voltage regulator and dimmer module.

ADS-B receiver mounted near the rear battery along with the associated antenna. Nothing is in the forward baggage compartment other than the forward battery mounted in the well. There are no added shelves or such.

The second photo shows how the panel comes out as an assembly by disconnecting the D plugs and a molex used to get power to the panel mounted breakers (they only power stuff that comes out with the panel). All connections between the panel mounted components are fixed with the panel. The SkyView system makes this approach straight forward. I assume other brands are similar but do not know. I consider an easily removed panel the #1 priority to any build (as in I will never have my head under the panel).

Carl

42-EED39-B-7-FDB-470-C-89-AB-4-A13577-C58-F3.jpg

601-DBBCB-DBD1-401-C-8012-FCDA69698687.jpg

34-D7456-F-F106-4-CCE-B7-D0-AAAFDF6-E4-C7-D.jpg

Here you go.

Dual SkyView HDX install, GTN-650 PS ENG audio panel, Dynon radio for comm #2, Dynon EMS/ARINC/XPDR.

Dynon radio (comm #2), EMS, ARINC and XPDR mounted on the aft side of the forward baggage compartment bulkhead, along with the B&C voltage regulator and dimmer module.

ADS-B receiver mounted near the rear battery along with the associated antenna. Nothing is in the forward baggage compartment other than the forward battery mounted in the well. There are no added shelves or such.

The second photo shows how the panel comes out as an assembly by disconnecting the D plugs and a molex used to get power to the panel mounted breakers (they only power stuff that comes out with the panel). All connections between the panel mounted components are fixed with the panel. The SkyView system makes this approach straight forward. I assume other brands are similar but do not know. I consider an easily removed panel the #1 priority to any build (as in I will never have my head under the panel).

Carl

42-EED39-B-7-FDB-470-C-89-AB-4-A13577-C58-F3.jpg

WOW, I can see you have about a foot of cable where you can remove the panel. Mine has 0.64 inches of cable !! I exaggerate but mine has less than 1 inch of cable for me to remove any radio. I can't understand why they do that, the cable doesn't have gold in it.

WOW, I can see you have about a foot of cable where you can remove the panel. Mine has 0.64 inches of cable !! I exaggerate but mine has less than 1 inch of cable for me to remove any radio. I can't understand why they do that, the cable doesn't have gold in it.

I do my own wiring - so I make the cable lengths as needed.

Carl

Back