What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 430 and 340 Backshells for Strain Relief

OD71

Hi All - We are nearing completion of my RV-7A and we are wrapping up the wiring. My buddy noticed I didn't have the strain relief backshells on the Garmin 430, Garmin 340 and the ICOM IC-A200. I was researching online and it looks like you can get the older style Garmin one-piece backshells, but that means I would have to re-pin everything. The other option would be the newer style Garmin two-piece backshells but they are crazy expensive.

Does anyone have any cheaper/better alternatives? I'd like to avoid re-pinning all of my avionics if I can.

Thanks!

As far as I can tell, there are only two suppliers of the high quality, all metal, bells and whistle, strain relief back shell components. One is Garmin, the other is Avidyne.
For the Garmin 430, my dealer says that Garmin no longer sells the connector kit. Stein was able to get a connector kit from Avidyne ($466.) for the plug in replacement for the 430. Avidyne calls their unit IFD 440.

The connector backshells are identical in function, but are considerably different in appearance. I have used both. I prefer the Garmin parts.

I haven't gotten to the wiring my radio stack yet, but I have wired several of the other Garmin components (GMU 11, GSU 25s and GSA 28). Having gone through this process with the Garmin backshells I have to say that I like them. They may be somehwat expensive but they incorporate threaded holes to attach the shield drains. Most DB backshells that I know about don't have that feature built in. They can be installed after the wires are attached to the connector body too.

You can do a search at Mouser or Digi-Key and find a wide variety of D connector backshells. Some are one piece and some are 2 piece. Some are plastic and some are metal or metalized plastic. I'm sure you can find something that will work for you. Do keep in mind about the shield drains though.

The GNS 430 back shells do not have the same provisions for attaching the shield drain wires as the newer Garmin connectors which incorporate provisions for 8-32 threaded holes which accept 8-32 screws that are used to attach the drain wires.

The 430 back plate has provisions for a grounding block that accepts crimped-on finger spring contacts that are attached to the drain wires.

Back